sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Here is my attempt on July 18, 2015 to image Pluto as it moves through the northeastern part of Sagittarius. If you zoom in really, really, REALLY tight you may see the dim blip of light (depending on the compression of the photo in this post). LOOK DEEPLY INTO THE RED CIRCLE, haha.  I took this shot (a composite of 5-30s exposures) at f4.2 using a zoom lens at 300mm on my Nikon. Sorry the image of Pluto isn't bigger but it's a scant 3 BILLION MILES AWAY, lol. Go, New Horizons, go! 

ASTRONOMY%20-%20PLUTO%20IN%20SAGITTARIUS

Cheers and clear skies!

Reggie

• Like 2
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great result. I hope you don't mind, I played with your image some more. Just a bit of interpolation, stretching and a close crop...

I boosted the contrast and cleaned up the image to make it easier to see Pluto. I included an inverse image as well. I'm sorry you couldn't see it in my first posts.

WOW! I did THAT?? I need to get a job at NASA or the ESA!   Nice one, Paul

I boosted the contrast and cleaned up the image to make it easier to see Pluto. I included an inverse image as well. I'm sorry you couldn't see it in my first posts.

• Like 12

Great result.

I hope you don't mind, I played with your image some more. Just a bit of interpolation, stretching and a close crop...

pluto.jpg

:D

• Like 12

You have to take another photo to then see it has moved a bit just like the amazing man did

Yeh, you're right. The amazing man is truly amazing! Just these darn clouds...

Haha :p

Great result.

I hope you don't mind, I played with your image some more. Just a bit of interpolation, stretching and a close crop...

pluto.jpg

:D

:grin:  WOW! I did THAT?? I need to get a job at NASA or the ESA!  :p  Nice one, Paul

• Like 3

Well for capturing such a distant object it sort of completes the set even though its not a planet anymore.

Yeh, bunnygod1. It will always be a planet in my heart :smiley:

• Like 1

Thanks, laudropb. I only used my old Nikon D50 and aimed it at the sky for 30 seconds on a tracking mount (with a CLEAR SKY, haha).

Oh, yeh, and did I mention at least a 7-inch scope? Haha!

Are you going to let new horizons get a closer shot? Show NASA how it's done... Perhaps a 2X Barlow, coupled with a 3X on a 5X powermate with a 1mm eyepiece projection on a 5mm diagonal CCD would get you close if you crop your image and resize it using a interpolation drizzle algorithm.

• Like 1

Are you going to let new horizons get a closer shot? Show NASA how it's done... Perhaps a 2X Barlow, coupled with a 3X on a 5X powermate with a 1mm eyepiece projection on a 5mm diagonal CCD would get you close if you crop your image and resize it using a interpolation drizzle algorithm.

Oh, Mars, I'm not that advanced, haha. Thanks for your suggestion; you must be an experienced astroimager. I just take a few shots here and there when there's good seeing. Have you tried to image Pluto yet?