Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New telescope and EPs... opions please?

Hi

On my quest for my first telescope (that needs to be a portable on a reasonable budget), I'm looking at this one...

Sky-Watcher Star Discovery 150P with a Skywatcher PowerTank 7Ah.
Now I know it's not an 8" Dobsonian and it's not on an EQ mount, so long astrophotography would be limited (only own a quick shot digi camera any way), but it seems to have a lot going for it and it has goto which I'm after too.
It does come with 25mm, 10mm EPs and a x2 Barlow, but I hear the quality of these items can be a bit on the "cheap" side. So I was looking at getting the below as extras...
Celestron X-Cel LX Eyepieces 1.25" 9mm.
Celestron X-Cel LX Eyepieces 1.25" 25mm.
Celestron X-Cel LX x2 Barlow Lens 1.25"
My thoughts were with the above EPs (60-degree field) and the good quality Barlow, it should give me a 12.5mm (x 80) and 4.5mm (x 167) capability. Which should be good for viewing the planets, moon and if I get some form of solar filter the Sun too. 4.5mm would be a x 167 magnification with a 0.9mm exit pupil. I believe you generally don't wont to go below 1mm. So quite a range. Or forget the Barlow and go for a Celestron X-Cel LX Eyepieces 1.25" 5mm. Which would give me x 150 magnification with a 1mm exit pupil?
I welcome any thoughts, feedback and suggestions you have; especially with the EPs.
Thanks in advance.
Rich

Nice scope and should be easy to use for visual, my concern is the reference(s) to astrophotography.

A camera may well not attach and allow a well focused image, usually there is insufficent inward travel at the focuser and the mount is still Alt/Az.

Ignore any blurb that says a DSLR can be attached, super glue will attach one, you need to attach a DSLR and achieve focus.

Can the lens be removed from the camera?

Say this as if astrophotography is the actual intented aim then get an equitorial mount, with goto as you want, but an Alt/Az mount will not really do the job.

As to eyepieces the X-Cels are fine, the performance of the Starguiders is as good and the Starguiders are £15 less per eyepiece, you could get the 5mm, 8mm and 25mm Starguider, then add £4 and get another.

Hi Rich,

nothing wrong with either the scope choice or ep's. However I would agree with both above the BST's are great value and can be ound here :-- http://www.skysthelimit.org.uk/telescope%20eyepieces.html

You will be limited as you realise with astrophotography to simple shots.

Download a planetarium program, plenty out there but try Stellarium, its great and free, to be found here.  :-- http://www.stellarium.org/  (site currently down!!)...

Also try and find your local astro club, always good advice and kit to look at!

Good Luck.

Thanks guys. Really useful. :smiley:

I'll have a look at those EPs.

As for astrophotography, not EQ mount and my quick snap did camera; what I meant was I'm not looking at astrophotography, so the altz mount it comes with is fine.

I've been a fan of Stellarium for years; big fan and used it many times.

Rich.

Hello,

I'm sure you will enjoy the scope !

What I discovered myself lately and I am trying to stick with...using the eye piece directly attached to the scope and avoid a barlow !

I have a Celestron 2.5x barlow but im using only for DSLR.

I'll go for 9mm,17mm and 25mm.

Save a for a 32mm as well, as sometime it looks glorious at that size...

Have fun...

Archived