Newbie - need advice for getting into imaging with a new telescope

Hi all,

I'm a complete newbie at astronomy and have been planning to get my first telescope (currently thinking Skywatcher Explorer 130P-DS), I also plan to take photos as I already have a Canon 550D.

I'm a bit iffy on what adapters are necessary.. Have I got the right idea?

How they connect / Mount?

Canon 550D -> T Ring -> T Adapter -> Coma Corrector -> Telescope

What accessories are needed?

T-Ring: Canon EOS OR Skywatcher DSLR-M48 Ring Adapter (Canon EOS)

What T-Adapter is needed?

Skywatcher 0.9x Coma Corrector OR Baader Mark-III MPCC Coma Corrector

Appreciate any help clarifying these details.

Thanks

You really need a stable mount with the 130P-DS a HEQ5 would be the bottom end of the range, if you use a Coma Corrector (its best to use one) you don't need the T-Adapter the CC connects to the T-Ring with the Baader this gives the correct  spacing CC to Camera Sensor....

I was in fact going for the 130P-DS OTA and HEQ5 PRO, I read that the HEQ5 PRO is pretty much mandatory due to the weight with a camera etc.

if you use a Coma Corrector (its best to use one) you don't need the T-Adapter...

Ok so no T adapter necessary when you have a Coma Corrector. I guess I'm good to go after I've picked the correct option in my first post. Do you know the difference between the two T-Rings I linked? And is there any benefit going for the more expensive Baader CC other than it not acting as a reducer?

I was in fact going for the 130P-DS OTA and HEQ5 PRO, I read that the HEQ5 PRO is pretty much mandatory due to the weight with a camera etc.

Ok so no T adapter necessary when you have a Coma Corrector. I guess I'm good to go after I've picked the correct option in my first post. Do you know the difference between the two T-Rings I linked? And is there any benefit going for the more expensive Baader CC other than it not acting as a reducer?

I have only used the Baader CC so can't comment on the Skywatcher....very happy with my choice it's has been used with 600D or 414EX into a 250P-DS

Thanks

I have only used the Baader CC so can't comment on the Skywatcher....very happy with my choice it's has been used with 600D or 414EX into a 250P-DS

Thanks for the info Tinker. The baader seems like the most appropriate choice compared to 0.9 CC.

So to just confirm. To connect my Canon 550D to a 130PDS the only items I need to purchase are;

T-Ring: Canon EOS

Baader Mark-III MPCC Coma Corrector

And that's it? I'm not missing any other items at all?

Archived