Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron AstroMaster Barlow lens

Hi, I recently purchased a Celestron AstroMaster 130eq along with the AstroMaster accessory kit which included a 2x Barlow lens. I went out to use the Barlow lens only to find it does not actually fit into the eyepiece slot in the telescope. Both are supposedly 1.25", the Barlow lens does appear to be only slightly larger but does not fit in at all. Does anyone know what the problem is or am I being a complete idiot? Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome to the forum :smiley:

The chrome barrel of the barlow lens should be just the same size as the chrome barrel of the eyepieces. If it's not then something has gone wrong during manufacture and it should be replaced.

Can you insert the chrome barrel of the barlow part way or will it not fit at all ?

Remember to unscrew the screw in the side of the focuser tube a bit so that the barlow barrel will slide into the tube.

Hello and welcome to the forum :smiley:

The chrome barrel of the barlow lens should be just the same size as the chrome barrel of the eyepieces. If it's not then something has gone wrong during manufacture and it should be replaced.

Can you insert the chrome barrel of the barlow part way or will it not fit at all ?

Remember to unscrew the screw in the side of the focuser tube a bit so that the barlow barrel will slide into the tube.

The chrome barrel is the right size but the black part on the bottom which slides in to the eyepiece on the scope is slightly bigger so it does not fit.

The black part at the bottom of the chrome barrel contains the lens of the barlow. It should be just the same diameter as the chrome tube or it could be a tiny bit smaller. If it's larger then thats a manufacturing defect and the barlow should be replaced.

Here is a picture of what the barlow should look like - the black part at the lower end of the chrome barrel is, as you can see, just a little smaller than the chrome bit:

post-118-0-35762900-1437309577.jpg

The black part at the bottom of the chrome barrel contains the lens of the barlow. It should be just the same diameter as the chrome tube or it could be a tiny bit smaller. If it's larger then thats a manufacturing defect and the barlow should be replaced.

Here is a picture of what the barlow should look like - the black part at the lower end of the chrome barrel is, as you can see, just a little smaller than the chrome bit:

It must be a manufacturing defect as the black part on the bottom of the lens is larger than the chrome barrel so it does notify into the scope.

It must be a manufacturing defect as the black part on the bottom of the lens is larger than the chrome barrel so it does notify into the scope.

Can you get a replacement from wherever you bought it ?.

I had a eyepiece the same the 2 inch barrel should have measured 50.80mm but came in at 51.00mm.If it hadn't,been for Flo I might have been stuck with it(thx Flo).Manufacturing defects do happen so I would ring up the place you bought it from and have it replaced.

Archived