New Binoculars

Hi, hope everyone is doing well and hope you are having more luck viewing than I am at the moment.

Unfortunately where I live in the UK I am not really getting good night conditions until about 00:00 - 01:00 and what with work etc. I have not had the opportunity (cloud allowing), to get out and partake of the hobby to any great extent.

Anyway back to the gist of the post, I have decided to add a pair of binoculars to my growing list of equipment. My thoughts are that for quick viewing it would be far easier to step out into the garden with a set of these rather than setting up my scope and waiting for it to cool downs etc. I have also read many comments on the forum from members who use binoculars quite frequently with good success.

I have chosen the Celestron Skymaster 15 x 70's. First thoughts are that they feel very well made, they have quite a long eye relief at 18mm but the eye cups can be folded back for spectacle wearers.

The angular field of view is 4.4­° and after spending a little time in the garden this afternoon setting up the dioptre and having a general view I find the visual quality is very good.

They way a little over a Kilo so they are not too heavy but I can't imagine holding them for long periods of time so I have mounted them on my tripod with the supplied tripod mount (The supplied mount is a little wobbly to be fair but its OK).

So the overall initial view is that they are a very good entry level pair of binoculars at a very reasonable price.

I am looking forward to giving them a try in the small hours this evening.

Clear sky's and best regards,

Benno

I have chosen the Celestron Skymaster 15 x 70's.

Say no more. They are a VERY popular set of bins at a good price. I'm sure you will be delighted with them. They certainly do need to be on a mount because anything over 10x50 really does. I didnt know they came with a tripod. What tripod came with them?. You may need to upgrade the tripod. 

Nice bins. Good choice. 

I have chosen the Celestron Skymaster 15 x 70's.

Say no more. They are a VERY popular set of bins at a good price. I'm sure you will be delighted with them. They certainly do need to be on a mount because anything over 10x50 really does. I didnt know they came with a tripod. What tripod came with them?. You may need to upgrade the tripod. 

Nice bins. Good choice. 

Hi Paul,

Sorry no they come with a tripod mount 'adapter' not a full tripod. I am using an 'Astro pro 187' tripod which is quite a strong sturdy tripod. 

However the tripod adapter that comes with the binoculars is a little wobbly (quite a bit of twist flex),. But it is quite manageable.

Regards,

Benno.

The tripod you have looks fine. It can hold up to 8 Kilo of weight. You could be (are) right that the "L" bracket is the weak point. Check out FLO (top of the page). I'm sure they sell very strong L brackets for a few quid.

Or just click the link:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/binocular-accessories/opticron-l-type-binocular-tripod-bracket-adapters.html

The tripod you have looks fine. It can hold up to 8 Kilo of weight. You could be (are) right that the "L" bracket is the weak point. Check out FLO (top of the page). I'm sure they sell very strong L brackets for a few quid.

Or just click the link:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/binocular-accessories/opticron-l-type-binocular-tripod-bracket-adapters.html

Hi Paul, thank's for the link. Yes they do look more substantial than the plastic mount adapter supplied.

Regards,

Benno.

Archived