Which one?

Hello all, first of all to those who answered my previous posts "thank you" your help has been really appreciated. I have manage to sell a few thinks and get a little more cash to buy my new scope. I was going for a skywatcher sky liner 200p but I could now just about afford the skywatcher explorer 200p eq5, is this a better scope or am I just paying extra for the eq5 ? I know about the weight of the explorer but I am fit and healthy and shouldn't have too much trouble moving it and setting it up. Is there much difference in what I will see through the scopes ? Any advice please.

With the Explorer you are mostly paying for the mount. Are you thinking of getting into astrophotography? If so then go for the Explorer, but if you only want to do visual go for the skylines and use the extra money for eyepieces. I don't think there will be much difference in what you will see but I will let a more educated member answer that as I'm not sure. Also the mount will need polar aligning every time you use it, but the skylines can just be put out and used (except from cool down times)

The scopes are similar, not however I think the same.

The Skyliner is I think an f/6 scope = 1200mm focal length, the Explorer being an f/5 scope = 1000mm focal length.

In general the f/6 is a bit more "stable" then the f/5.

If you have any intentions of imaging at all, then the Explorer on the EQ5, simply for the EQ5 mount although it will need motors to track objects for the imaging aspects. If absolutely no intention of ever getting an image of anythiong then the Skyliner, but the number of people that get a dobsonian then ask about getting images is well over half and closer to 80%, and really dobsonians do not take images.

So it all really depends on what the future intentions or thoughts will be. Note that you cannot just attach a DSLR, the focal plane is wrong to get an image but that is "fixed" by moving the primary mirror upwards a little.

If the EQ5 has no motors then using the adjusters is not overly easy at first.

The final aspect is that besides the scope now you will want a couple of additional eyepieces fairly quickly. The scope is just the first of many items.

With the Explorer, the focuser may be an issue. It will end up in various strange positions, sometimes requiring tube rotation in order for you to reach it, due to the equatorial design and how the scope tracks an arc? The skyliner is point and view, the Explorer is not! It takes time to get onto the next target?

My Celestron is an eq system, if it were an Explorer, then everytime, the Skyliner would still be my first choice for visual use. Its so much easier to set up and use, probably requires the same cooling period, and at f/6 a better all round telescope, thats easier on collimation and eyepiece selection ( fact-faster scopes have less margin for error when collimating ).

I also sit with my telescope, which gives the body a better stable platform, and no EQ mount legs to trip over in the dark? Its a liitle awkward viewing directly overhead being seated, but I can do it.

Its possible at a later stage, buy a much better/stronger EQ mount, and using tube rings, could still mount the Skyliner.

For visual use only, go for the Skyliner.

"If absolutely no intention of ever getting an image of anythiong then the Skyliner, but the number of people that get a dobsonian then ask about getting images is well over half and closer to 80%, and really dobsonians do not take images."-Ronin- +1

Having started with photography in mind, I chose a better EQ mount and 6" Newtonian, and glad I did. I do have an EP and like observing, but the re-balance and re-orientation of the OTA required means it remains a low priority. From what I've seen, my choice would be to go for a 12" Dob in addition at some point. My plan places adding a 6" RC ahead of that at this point.

My point being that one must take into account one's true preferences, and it seems the financial black hole that is imaging draws in many who never thought it would.

Before making a purchase, I read many bits extolling non-goto mounts, as learning to star hop, etc. were worthy and added to the experience. I'll be 70 next year and for me, spending years learning the sky seems a waste of what time I have. Firing up Stellarium and clicking on a target then waiting a few seconds for the scope to slew there always makes me smile.

It would make more sense in my mind to get the 12" Dob right away, let the imaging bug do what it will, then if it infects you, get a more capable mount and an appropriate scope at that time. Halfway measures have a way of leading one through a long and expensive upgrading cycle.

You can take some nice low power images of the Moon with the Skyliner, infact, any Dobsonian telescope, using a mobile phone or DSLR.

The issue lies with tracking, or the lack of it on the Skyliner Dobsonian. At higher magnifications, nothing stands still in the eyepiece, which is the major issue, and also that of hand-shake if holding the mobile phone? To produce images similar to those in books, you need longer exposures and an accurate aligned tracking system. This is where the money goes, buying a decent support system.

You can take some nice low power images of the Moon with the Skyliner, infact, any Dobsonian telescope, using a mobile phone or DSLR.

The issue lies with tracking, or the lack of it on the Skyliner Dobsonian. At higher magnifications, nothing stands still in the eyepiece, which is the major issue, and also that of hand-shake if holding the mobile phone? To produce images similar to those in books, you need longer exposures and an accurate aligned tracking system. This is where the money goes, buying a decent support system.

Agreed, understanding that it is the relatively low brightness of all objects other than the moon and planets that requires longer exposures which a non-tracking mount is incapable of. Certainly good images of moon and planets can be produced, especially if one uses a webcam or planetary cam. Any sort of time exposure of DSO's with a DSLR or CCD is just not possible without a tracking mount.

Thanks for your replys, I have no interest in photography I just want the best views of DSO and the planets I can get for my price range. I have a flat roof on my property which I think is ideal for setting up a scope to give me an all round view of the sky all I have to do is figure out how to build some steps up to it, off to a carpentry forum I think.

Something to consider, so much heat rises from within and from the external surfaces of buildings, you would be sat in a column of warm thermal air, possibly spoiling your view!

This is probably more apparent for UK weather, but were always advised not to view over houses for the same reason.

Theres always someone/something to spoil things?

Archived