SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Kelling Heath Autumn 2016?

In 7 weeks time I'm  off my yearly sojourn to the Kelling Heath autumn star party.  It's just dawned on me that I haven't booked by pitch for the 2016 autumn star party yet.

I've looked on the event website ( http://starparty.las-astro.org.uk/index.php ) and it looks as though they haven't updated it since last year.  Has anyone any idea when the tickets for the 2016 autumn star party are going on sale?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kelling Heath have confirmed the dates are correct but are not taking bookings yet.   The lady I spoke to said it was her understanding that they wouldn't be taking bookings until after this year's party.  However, I'm not entirely convinced this wasn't a guess on her part so I will still keep an eye out for bookings opening before this year's party.

Last year they were taking bookings 15mths in advance - so I'm inclined to agree with your doubts about what she said. I do wish they would sort themselves out over booking dates. They handle a rush for bookings in the peak season so why they can't handle the star parties more efficiently beats me.......

:)

Last year they were taking bookings 15mths in advance - so I'm inclined to agree with your doubts about what she said. I do wish they would sort themselves out over booking dates. They handle a rush for bookings in the peak season so why they can't handle the star parties more efficiently beats me.......

:)

It's my understanding that the choice of release date for taking bookings is primarily down to the organisers of the event - Loughton AS.

• 1 month later...

I asked Andrew Robertson about this.  The main Saturday in 2016 is Saturday 1st October.  Andrew also sent me this regarding future booking arrangements for Kelling Star Parties.

Booking Arrangements at Kelling Heath Star Parties

To standardize the booking procedures for both the spring and autumn events, the organisers of both events and Kelling Heath management have got together agreed the following procedure:

For either event you can only book by telephone up to a year in advance after the current event. For example you will only be able to book by phone for the autumn 2016 party from Monday 14th September 2015. Ditto, the next spring star party is from Thursday 7th April to Sunday 10th April 2016, you will only be able to book by telephone for the spring 2017 star party from Monday 11th April 2016.

However you can book for the next event in person at reception when you have arrived and checked in for the current event, i.e. this coming autumn event, if you are arriving on say Wednesday 9th Sept 2015 you will then be able to book the autumn 2016 event in person at reception.

This is to give a preference to those that are loyal to the event whom frequently stay for an extended period say 7 days or more and then find their favoured pitch has been booked up by someone by phone in advance just for the weekend.

There is no easy way and no method will suit everyone but we think the above is fairest all round.

Star Party Organisers and Kelling Heath Management.

Thank you for that. I always book up for two weeks, and am frustrated that this year I have had to go right under the trees. Booking in person when there before is much better!

Arriving wednesday, hopefully get a spot that can be used for astronomy for 2016!

Looks like they've gone back to the old system of doing things which is great. Thanks for taking the time to find out and post the details Paul - great job! :)

@Tim - we have a super pitch on yellow this year if you want to put a scope up away from the trees matey. :)

It's a pleasure to be of some help chaps, I know how frustrating it must be for you.  I go with a couple of friends every year from the Thursday before the main weekend ( Sept 10th this year ) until the following Monday.  It must be a lot worse if you are trying to book for a couple of weeks.  Hopefully this year Tim you'll be able to get a much better pitch booked for next year. 

When we arrived last year I overheard some folks talking which was the first I knew that anyone had been able to book already for the following years event.  By the time I rushed back to reception the pitch we were on had already been booked for the following year, as most of the good pitches had.  We can see some sky from our pitch we have this time round, but hardly ideal.  I'm just pleased that I do a lot of Solar observing an my rig can be carried about to some extent to avoid any obstructions!

Anyway, I hope you all have success this year, and if you happen by the pitch I'm on, you're welcome to have a view at the Sun.

Thanks Paul. Up until this year we have always managed to get a decent pitch in the top end of the red field. In fact, the nights before and after the main event are quite often the best for viewing, more relaxing and less people about. It is during nights spent like that with Andrew R that I became convinced that I wanted to get a visual rig as well as the imaging one.  This year we are right outside the red toilet block, so when the covers come off the lights it will be game over, and we are staying from 9th to 27th. In the middle of that is the Sheringham 1940's weekend, always a good show, and the red field fills up with fancy dressers :)

Kim, I have acquired Brian's 18" Dob, so if there are clear nights forecast while you are there I may well wheel it up to you then. I will only have about a 110° view of the sky from our pitch I think.  It's F4 so should be nice and easy even for Diane and Julie. Give me a shout when you arrive :) 

That's good news,

I shall book for 2016, when we arrive on the 9th.

Hopefully I can secure a pitch in our normal spot, and away from the trees, where we are this year.

I and PaulC are staying for 7 days this year, and will do for the same time next year, and hopefully in the future.

We both agreed, it's a long way from East Cheshire. We arrive and settle in. And before you know it, the weekend is over.

Fingers and indeed everything is crossed, for some good night's. 

Archived