Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Suggested EP's for skywatcher 127 MAK

Garethr

Hi all,

Have just purchased a 127 mak for my wife who enjoys looking at the planets and moon whilst I'm tucked away in my Obsy imaging.

Obviously the EP's that come with the scope are basic to say the least but as someone who mainly images the night sky I have no idea what would be a good set of EP's to add to her set.

As usual please don't break my bank account with suggestions but would love to buy her a couple of decent ( again remember my bank account) EP's that will give her good views of planets and the moon with perhaps a couple of bright DSO's within the narrow field of view that she will get with this scope.

It's mounted on celestron nexstar 130 mount to give reasonable tracking

Any help appreciated thanks

Gareth.

Morning, surprised not to see any responses here..

I guess the usual questions we would need to know, is what's your budget, do you need good eye relief, do you want a wide field of view...

Ultimately at a long fl mak is not going to be too testing on ep's so I guess you probably want to look at sub £100 offerings like, BST, Xcel lx, maybe even the William optics spl range.. If eye relief is not an issue then maybe some nice plossls like second hand televue or vixens

If your pushing the boat out a tad more then I'd look at the vixen slv or even the explore scientific 82 range..

FLO have an offer on vixen lvw at the mo as they are being phased out...

I guess your spoilt for choice.. But if I had to choose it would the the slv..if I had to choose..

Let us know what you decide

Ta

Fozzie

No idea what kind of budget you have in mind, but the Celestron X-Cel's should perform very well in the 127 mak. I use them quite often with my tiny little 90mm mak, mostly for solar viewing and some grab & go lunar sessions when I don't have time to pull out a bigger scope.

I have no scope time with them but BST's seem to get very good press from many site members who own them. Maxvisions where I do have experience are also very good though I paid a lot for green and blue bands on mine, oh and the word Meade.

The 127 is a slow scope so will handle less pricy eyepieces well without edge of field issues so I would say no need to consider Televues of any type or Pentax's. Baader Hyperions will perform well also in this scope.

alan.

Although i bang my drum and shout from the rooftops how great i think my bst starguiders are . my wife finds these uncomfortable to use, thats why i got a set of meade plossl s for the different eyecup and to her that was better.

al

Another vote here for the BST Star guiders. I loved the first one so much that I went & bought the whole set to use with my 127mm SCT. Nice, crisp views & the twist up eye cups are really comfortable for prolonged viewing. They won't break the bank either.

If you get one from Alan at 'Skies the Limit' he's always happy to accept returns if it turns out not to be suitable for you.

Thanks all for the replies.

I thought I had done something wrong when there was a deafening silence for a few days :)

Will look at the BST range following the advice above and see how she gets on with them.

Gareth.

the thing is you have a 200p dob as well so maybe consider tv plossi then they will work great with both scopes, and only a bit more than the bsts if you buy secondhand. if you dont like them a lot will buy them and you probably won,t loose any pounds :smiley:

Mike,

The 200p is on a pier in the Obsy and only used for imaging. Can't get my eye up to the EP the way it's mounted plus all the bits and bobs that go with imaging I can't even get close to the EP too many wires. :)

Do like to use the 130 when on a long run of sub though.

Gareth.

Mike,

The 200p is on a pier in the Obsy and only used for imaging. Can't get my eye up to the EP the way it's mounted plus all the bits and bobs that go with imaging I can't even get close to the EP too many wires. :)

Do like to use the 130 when on a long run of sub though.

Gareth.

in that case then, primaraly for your mak, when i had a sw 6" mak i tried the bst, they were good but i didnt like the warm tone (planets were tinted yellowish) i sold them and bought ts h-r eps from modern astronomy. same price but sharper and neutral tone

Archived