Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Certainly not what I expected. There's a lot of data to be analysed there. Keep them going for years

• Like 2

im not sure if thats ice or clouds, but amazing pictures  cant wait for the hi res from NASA

• Like 1

I always find the pronunciation of the names unusual.

One of the Pluto team was on Radio 4 this morning and she pronounced the Charon moon with a distinct 'K' (as in Karon) sound as opposed to mine of 'CH' (as in Charlie).

Is nothing simply in this hobby.

• Like 1

im not sure if thats ice or clouds, but amazing pictures  cant wait for the hi res from NASA

Apparently the spacecraft is currently collecting and storing data to be transmitted back tonight.  NASA will release more pics then.

One of the Pluto team was on Radio 4 this morning and she pronounced the Charon moon with a distinct 'K' (as in Karon) sound as opposed to mine of 'CH' (as in Charlie).

I always thought the Ch was as the Sh in Sharon, with the "ron" bit sounding as in Ron as opposed to Run.  The emphasis being on the second syllable.

I think you're right.  Nothing is simple...  :laugh:

Cheers,

Mark

:grin: 

everyone is at it today - even google.  Check out their logo on their search page and press it to see New Horizons' fly by.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Certainly not what I expected. There's a lot of data to be analysed there. Keep them going for years

Its going to take about a year I think for all the data to come back! Absolutely fascinating and very surprising that Pluto appears red. Can't wait to see the first images tomorrow.

On the news earlier, there is apparently 16 years worth of data to come...

Mark

that is a heck of an undertaking, would explain why my friend was saying NASA was visiting schools in the area for people who could crunch data real well

Jim liked the proposed name as it was the same beginning as his wife's, Charlene. So pretty sure it should be "sh" as in Sharon. But who knows :)

On the news earlier, there is apparently 16 years worth of data to come...

Mark

On the NASA website it says that it will take 16 months to send back the 10 years worth of data that it has collected so far.

http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasas-three-billion-mile-journey-to-pluto-reaches-historic-encounter

Amazing pictures though.  I can't wait to see more.   :grin:

Regards

Brian

• Like 1

On the NASA website it says that it will take 16 months to send back the 10 years worth of data that it has collected so far.

http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasas-three-billion-mile-journey-to-pluto-reaches-historic-encounter

Amazing pictures though.  I can't wait to see more.   :grin:

Regards

Brian

That sounds more reasonable.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to start drinking... :laugh:

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by Cornelius Varley

I can honestly say that image of Pluto brought a tear to my eye.

Watching it took me back around 45 years when I was a kid, first learning about the planets

I'd seen pictures of the gas giants but Pluto always had me enthralled.  Maybe it was because it was the most outermost planet (at that time) in the solar system and least mentioned.

I always wondered what it looked like.

Today has answered that.

Beautiful. Just Beautiful

Edited by tony4563
  • Like 7

I can honestly say that image of Pluto brought a tear to my eye.

Watching it took me back around 45 years when I was a kid, first learning about the planets

I'd seen pictures of the gas giants but Pluto always had me enthralled.  Maybe it was because it was the most outermost planet (at that time) in the solar system and least mentioned.

I always wondered what it looked like.

Today has answered that.

Beautiful. Just Beautiful

Brought a tear to my eye too wonderful stuff.

Alan

I'm still lost in wonderment at this, while feeling a slight disconnection from reality.

When I was growing up as a kid (I'm about as old as the space age) and interested in all things space and astronomy we were just sending men into orbit and the first probes to the moon and getting fuzzy images back in black and white. Pluto was this very faint dot at the edge of the solar system, on its own as far as we knew. But then we didn't really know much, not even how big it was. This was definitely "Here be dragons" territory.

Now we've sent a space craft there! And we're getting colour pictures in high resolution with more and better to come (Fingers crossed)! And it's not over yet, there's still another, even further away target being planned!

As far as I'm concerned anyone, astronomer or not, who isn't totally enthralled by this is beyond hope.

• Like 5

Absolutely stunning.

This is a Planet,its pulled itself into a perfect sphere, it orbits the Sun, and in reality none of the Planets have swept their orbits clear.

This looks a fascinating world.

Mick.

• Like 1

What an amazing set of images. The press conference was great viewing. Can't wait for Friday's press release

• Like 1