Vixen FL-80S convert to a 2" diagonal

My older style Vixen currently takes a 1.25" prism diagonal but I'm hungering to use my 2" Naglers with it.

The draw tube will take the 2" diagonal at 52mm internal diameter but I can't find anything which uses the Vixen thread and has a 2" compression fitting to hold the diagonal in place.

Does anyone know of such an adaptor or combination of adaptors / diagonals to achieve this?

post-13264-0-83372200-1436877432_thumb.j

post-13264-0-70717900-1436877440_thumb.j

post-13264-0-18709200-1436877445_thumb.j

There isn't anything in the Vixen product line that will do the job.

TBH, you will struggle to get something to do what you've described with a reliable fit. With the 53mm thread (52mm internal diameter) on the drawtube and a push fit of 50.8mm you only have 1.2mm clearance or 0.6mm either side. You'd barely be able to machine a thread into something so thin, let alone add a compression ring!

You might be able to fashion something to "wedge" the diagonal in place but I wouldn't want to trust 2" eyepieces to such an arrangement.

If the nosepiece on the diagonal was removable, you might be able to find someone to machine a custom replacement nosepiece that allowed enough length to acheive back focus and that would screw into the thread on the draw tube. The problem with that would be that you'd not have any rotation for the diagonal unless you add a locking ring... and the cost then goes up and up and up.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Looking at pressing the go button on a low profile (60mm) TS focuser, looked at a Moonlite but due to lack if infocus issues when using a 2" diagonal I would have had to start carving up the tube and this was just a step too far.......

Anyone else know of an alternative make who do a low profile version?

post-13264-0-53384100-1437489264_thumb.p

The TS focuser is a pretty good unit. I had one on my ST120 f5 which I passed on. Easy to disassemble and assemble and easy to tweak to your desired tension levels.

Another option which feels better is this one from TS. I have tried this as well and I prefer it to be honest, but it is longer than the one above.

Lovely scope by the way...

Archived