SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Green Flash

Paul M

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Patrick Moore said he saw the zodiacal light in the UK once - during the wartime blackout.

I think the Zodiacal Light is relatively easy to see in the UK- compared to the Gegenshein, which appears in the opposite side of the sky (if it is dark enough).

I could see the Zodical Light last Spring from Mid Wales

_DSF0380_800_zpsc2695dde.jpg

The Gegenshein is a much more subtle phenonmena needing very dark skies.

I've been fortunate enough to see the Green Flash on a number of occasions, sometimes from my home in Selsey and sometimes from more exotic locations. A seaward horizon is ideal but it can sometimes be seen as the Sun 'sets' behind clouds above the horizon as well. I saw a good example of this from the roof of the INT in La Palma when we did a Sky at Night shoot from there a while back. To be honest I wasn't expecting it to happen because of the clouds but the Green Flash seen at that time was the strongest I'd ever seen.

If you're interested, here's a video of me photographing the Green (and a bit of Blue) Flash from Chile...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWw8z75AXwU

I have also been lucky enough to see both the Zodiacal Light and Gegenschein. The Zodiacal Light is easy compared to the incredibly subtle Gegenschein. I've only seen the Z/L once from the UK. Patrick did used to tell of seeing the Gegenschein while in a blackout period during the war.

Best regards,

Pete

I've been fortunate enough to see the Green Flash on a number of occasions, sometimes from my home in Selsey and sometimes from more exotic locations. A seaward horizon is ideal but it can sometimes be seen as the Sun 'sets' behind clouds above the horizon as well. I saw a good example of this from the roof of the INT in La Palma when we did a Sky at Night shoot from there a while back. To be honest I wasn't expecting it to happen because of the clouds but the Green Flash seen at that time was the strongest I'd ever seen.

If you're interested, here's a video of me photographing the Green (and a bit of Blue) Flash from Chile...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWw8z75AXwU

I have also been lucky enough to see both the Zodiacal Light and Gegenschein. The Zodiacal Light is easy compared to the incredibly subtle Gegenschein. I've only seen the Z/L once from the UK. Patrick did used to tell of seeing the Gegenschein while in a blackout period during the war.

Best regards,

Pete

Truly wonderful! Thanks for posting that link to the vid.

Thoroughly enjoyed that Pete, thanks.

Also, I really did like the fact that of all the Astro. Photography you have done in your life, the sheer excitement, and anticipation

you demonstrated during that experience, was a delight to behold.

I'm sure it will serve  inspire many who watch this.

Excellent  :icon_salut:.

Archived