Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Upgrade to EQ6 / NEQ6

Avo

For those of you out there guiding with an EQ6 / NEQ6, do you have any figures for guided accuracy that can be achieved whilst imaging.

I'm currently looking at a mount upgrade and am hovering between the EQ6 and it's well known limitations, modest cost and available mods, to EQ8 which is said to be a lot better, but would I then hanker for a Mesu etc.

I have no numbers as such, but this is a typical graph for me:

post-5513-0-36696500-1436815011.jpg

I guess it depends on what you want to put on it. Ive had 12kg on mine and it was fine, and it could probably take more than that (15 or more).

Yes its a guided graph using a finderguider. Cant be certain that the RMS value is in arc min without firing up the gear, ive never questioned it but it would seem logical.

Ive always gone on two things: 1) is the graph flat(ish)? and 2) are the stars round? It can get a little bumpy when imaging stuff like M8, but any guided setup would be prone to the same atmospheric disturbances.

I made the leap to the NEQ6 a couple of years ago and have never regretted it for one moment. And its unlikely I will ever need anything bigger.

There's weight and there's accuracy. How much accuracy do you need? This is to do with arcsecs per pixel (from your focal length/chip size.) I tend to think these mounts are better at handling weight than they are at being accurate. They're good, though.

Olly

I have no numbers as such, but this is a typical graph for me:

attachicon.gifphd.jpg

I guess it depends on what you want to put on it. Ive had 12kg on mine and it was fine, and it could probably take more than that (15 or more).

That's a nice graph. Personally, I tend to tone down the RA Aggressiveness down to 70-75. I found that tend to smooth out the bumps a bit. It's just a personal thing.

Bo 

Archived