Narrowband

Collimation Worries

post-45019-0-33643000-1436795460.jpgHi 

Is it possible to tell from the attached picture if my SW200p is set up correctly.  I have had it 3 weeks and it was 2nd hand.  I have been happy with the results but

am so confused with the art of collimation.  I dont want to touch it without some guidance.  I have read so many articles on this that my brain hurts.

I have a Cheshire and a modified film canister.  I have looked through both and from what I can see the scope seems to be OK but I thought collimation would be a regular thing I would have to do.  The photo was taken with a compact camera that just happens to fit were the EP goes.

Thank for any help that anyone can provide.  I dont want to disturb things till I have to.

I the limited time I have had using the scope I am amazed at what I have seen.  Saturn is stunning.

Les

post-45019-0-33643000-1436795460.jpg

Nope. Can't see the primary mirror clips. Secondary is out. If I'm seeing it right, the secondary is ok for depth in the tube, but needs to be angled a bit more towards the EP holder. Looking naked eye down the focus tube, and your eye centered mirror should look round, centered so there is a bit of black right around and you can see all three primary clips. Then center the spot by adjusting primary.

Thanks everyone.  When I read the first reply I got even more worried as I did not think things were too bad but judging by the rest of the comments It seems that is

OK.  I wont touch it now and I have a future refrence to look to when it does need adjustment.  I will try the star test again as I did do this and the results seemed to say

that the settings were OK.

Thanks again for the help and advice.  Lots to learn and plenty of teachers to help

Les

Archived