Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The 'Box' observatory

beamer3.6m

I have been trying to make the most of the space I have for viewing and felt the front garden was best suited due to it being south facing and relatively unrestricted save for some trees and power lines.

Anyway, heres the 'Box' observatory.

Im pleased and it works brilliantly. I lift the lid off and im ready to go in 2 mins. Its all controlled remotely via teamviewer.

The scope is stored with the counter weights at 90 degrees to the classic 'park' position so that the total height of the box remains below the window. In fact it cannot be seen when sitting inside.

The box is wired into the garage and has a laptop to run all the necessary programmes.

I made the Observatory from pallets and simple planks from B&Q and I would estimate the total spend as about £60.

It can be moved if needs be as not heavy and the scope sits directly on the drive so no flooring to worry about.

Simples.

post-1311-0-36618700-1436740902_thumb.jp

post-1311-0-53411500-1436740971_thumb.jp

post-1311-0-44931500-1436741040_thumb.jp

Its not the plants but the snails I am trying to avoid.

A good dose of salt was sprinkled last night to prevent them climbing.

It may not have the extravagance of a Roll of Roof but it is simple and keeps it all dry. The roof is felted and has withstood some serious weather. The lid is also quite heavy (I can lift it though) so the wind is not an issue.

I am pleased and think for a simple design it has worked well.

All electronics are inside.

All cables/plugs are stored in a sealed waterproof cable box which works really well and the laptop is in large plastic tub which is raised off the ground.

I have done a long test run and the electrics and laptop have remained dry and secure for over 3 months now.

I place a large bbq cover over the scooe and mount whuch adds protection to the boxes also before I close the lid.

• 2 months later...

I have to say that the Box Observatory is proving a fantastic step and after 6 months Its still going strong.

This has improved the imaging 100% as no more setup/take down. The camera and all else just remains in position.

I would highly recommend an Obsy for those that thinking about it, and this proves that they can be small and functional at the same time so even if space is an issue you can do it.

It does seem like even such a small "observatory" can work really well.  I was very impressed with the one Gonzo(?) has built in Germany for remote imaging.  If a "full size" obsy is impractical or not an option then this looks like an excellent solution.

James

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks James.

If you don't have the garden for a full size observatory, the 'micro' compact ones are a way forward.

They are cheaper to build and maintain, but they do come with their own kind of problems (had quite a few myself).

As for mine, I need to pull my finger out.... and finish that weather box (dew issues), once done a quick flight to Germany and I'm going live.

I would like to take a picture of the security guard at Heathrow airport when my bag will go through the x-ray machine... lol

This looks fantastic.
I have a section of flooring and views like that directly outside my bedroom window in my bungalow.
Depending on how I go about building my setup, this really is something that I may consider.

As a complete newcomer how would you go about calibrating and polar aligning such a setup if you cannot see the polestar (sorry if this is such a basic question)?

Archived