SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Quark qualms quelled

Floater

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/07/2017 at 13:20, xtreemchaos said:

thanks Dave, ive another Q, is it possible to DS a quark ?, ive been wondering this a while. charl.

Charl, I once put my Quark in the Lunt 60 just to see the effect, I am not sure if this could be called double stacking, and the result was very very good, the views looked like embers albeit a little dark ? However, there was serious banding across the disk, but even the poor parts of the banding were good and the rest exceptional !!! From an AP viewpoint I would imagine some fantastic shots could be produced, maybe award winning ?

13 minutes ago, jetstream said:

How is the eyerelief on the 35mm Eudiascopic? does it float like the 32mm TV plossl?

We are using very similar mags  Shaun- they do work well.

Not to me Gerry, I find it easier to look through than the 32 TV and slightly better detail, but there are periods when the TV detail is better.

The TV is much better in the 110mm from a comfort / eye position perspective when compared to the 80mm.

that's very interesting Shaun, wonder if a tilt adjuster would of helped with the banding ?. I had stunning skys thismorrning, when I first put the ep in to line the rig up with sol, I was gobsmacked by the detail I saw it was like the atmos had disappeared, cryistle clear and steady as a rock, I found it hard to pull myself away to take some shots, hope tomorrows as good. charl.

29 minutes ago, Pig said:

Not to me Gerry, I find it easier to look through than the 32 TV and slightly better detail, but there are periods when the TV detail is better.

The TV is much better in the 110mm from a comfort / eye position perspective when compared to the 80mm.

Shaun, whats the verdict of f ratio with the Quark? did the 80mm work as well for contrast as the f7?( not including detail due to aperture).

15 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

that's very interesting Shaun, wonder if a tilt adjuster would of helped with the banding ?. I had stunning skys thismorrning, when I first put the ep in to line the rig up with sol, I was gobsmacked by the detail I saw it was like the atmos had disappeared, cryistle clear and steady as a rock, I found it hard to pull myself away to take some shots, hope tomorrows as good. charl.

Maybe, my Lunt was a tilt tune model but I can't remember tinkering at the time, I guess the likelihood is that I did try to tune out the banding ?

I've also been enjoying the Sun Today. First light was about 11.30am, not a bad image but a little too warm for 150X on my 150mm. I also decided to give the 220mm refractor a white light whirl with my Lunt 1.25" H wedge. I have a 140mm Daystar (can we still say this name? :icon_biggrin:) ERF fitted so left this in to protect the wedge. Again, as expected, a good view but too much aperture for the warm condtions. All change by 7pm though, the seeing had settled and the views were magnificent, the Ha looked like Charl's excellent images and the WL image showed tremendous detail of the large spot. I noticed that the umbra had small spicules round its edge, I can't say that I've seen that before. The nearby hillside stopped the show at 8.15pm.

18 minutes ago, jetstream said:

Shaun, whats the verdict of f ratio with the Quark? did the 80mm work as well for contrast as the f7?( not including detail due to aperture).

Gerry I believe my Esprit 80mm triplet was an f5 and my Equinox 80mm doublet an f6, both worked very well. The Esprit was full disc with room to spare, the Equinox just about filled up the objective or maybe not quite full disc.

The lower mag helped with the detail ( 48 & 63 x with a 32mm eyepiece)

I haven't really noticed any real shift with the views with the differing f ratios !!! 

8 minutes ago, Pig said:

Gerry I believe my Esprit 80mm triplet was an f5 and my Equinox 80mm doublet an f6, both worked very well. The Esprit was full disc with room to spare, the Equinox just about filled up the objective or maybe not quite full disc.

The lower mag helped with the detail ( 48 & 63 x with a 32mm eyepiece)

I haven't really noticed any real shift with the views with the differing f ratios !!! 

Great to hear Shaun, I havn't noticed the Quark being fussy at all either- no issues due to focuser sag etc. I heard it is supposed to be best around f30 but it seems like there is some flexibilty here.

Archived