Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astotortilla failing to connect to BackyardEOS

sonof007

Hi, Hope there is somebody in the Galaxy who can help meeeeeee. I was having difficulty with Star Alignment on a session in the week. Had good polar align but could not get good star alignment and was not sure if I was actaully looking at the Target I wanted to shot. I had Facebook friend telling me he uses AstroTortilla. Investigated this, downloaded, installed and tested in my summerhouse with all set up as if in the Garden. All goes well, followed the very good tutorial by Gib007 and entered correct settings for scope etc.However I have encountered a problem I just cannot solve. I have selected BackyardEOS as Camera but it says "Error". When I  click on Capture and Solve I get an error message, Failed to connect to BackyardEOS.  All appears to be working up to this point, running through stellarium, send to target and says its tracking. its just not connecting to BYEOS for me to take picture to Plate solve. Everthing else is all running fine and camera is all connected, just AstroTortilla not talking to BYEOS. I have download Astro Photoghraphy Tool (APT) as trial, selected this as the camera in Astrotortilla and this connects and works fine. I would really like to continue to use BYEOS.. When I open the setup for the Camera one thing I find strange is it shows and IP address ?  Please somebody in the Galaxy of Stargazers Lounge help, appreciate any help on this. sure its something simple I am missing.

Many thanks.

Thank you for reply Kalasinman. Discovered this only works on the Premuim EOS, I upgarded my BackyardEOS and followed the instructions on the BYEOS support page, which have copied and pasted as below which apply to Canon or Nikon. Hope this helps anybody else who has sim problem in the future.

Using AstroTortilla for plate solving is a Premium Edition feature.

Follow these steps to configure both BackyardEOS/BackyardNIKON and AstroTortilla for plate solving.

In BackyardEOS or BackyardNIKON...

Start BackyardEOS/BackyardNIKON Premium Edition.
    Go to Settings.
    In the "3rd party integration" section check 'Enable TCP Server'.
    Restart BackyardEOS/BackyardNIKON.
    Accept all Windows firewall warnings.

In AstroTortilla...

Start AstroTortilla.
    Select "BackyardEOS" as your camera control.  Even it you are using BackyardNIKON you need to select BackyardEOS in AstroTortilla.
    Set the exposure duration (in seconds).
    Click on camera set up, set the ISO desired.
    Click "Capture and Solve" to start the plate solving process.
    Refer to AstroTortilla documentation for proper AT settings.

You are now plate solving!

All tested and tried in the summer house, appears to be working all okay now. Camera is now connected and showing as Idle and does take a picture. Will try it as soon as get clear skies on a Friday or Saturady.   

I take it this will centre the target for me once its done its bit and I will then have to run PHD2 and Autoguid as normal?

Thanks

First, I am at the same point as you With AT. Happy it seems to be going. My plan is to use Stellarium to select and slew to an object, take a shot with AT and solve to confirm location. Before shooting make sure "sych scope" and "re-slew to target" are ticked.

Just in case...http://lightvortexastronomy.blogspot.com/2013/08/tutorial-imaging-setting-up-and-using.html#STEP3

Clouded out here. I hope you do well.-Jack

I got AT installed literally a day before the clouds came. It almost worked, but failed to solve the picture it took. I probably caused that by eliminating cygwin libraries before I tested to see which ones worked. I copied my settings page yesterday and deleted all cygwin and AT files and re-installed. I can't figure out how to test it without a mount connection, so I'll try it in the day today with an old photo of mine.

• 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I know others are working well with the Backyard/AT but, are there any other tips please? I have the "enable TCP server" ticked but still get the dreaded "failed to connect to BackyardEos" from AstroTotilla. I can take pictures directly from Backyard so the camera is connected and have set up the fields in AT according to those suggested in Lightvortex... tutorial but just can't get started on plate solving. (Hair is getting too thin to pull much more out)

Archived