Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Hey guys

A guy in my area is selling a 13.1" Coulter Odyssey, the 2 mirrors. I'd want to get an idea on the optical quality of them. He bought the many many years ago, and they still in the original package, hasn't been used.

1. Would the optics degrade over time if they were wrapped up?

2. What is the general quality of the mirrors. I have heard the optics can vary alot, and they generally not that great for planetary views.

3. He is selling them (and he mentioned the Rocker once) for around $350, is this good for a un-used mirror.

I'd like to build a really nice DSO / Planetary Dob, and this gives me hope if the optics are really good.

Any advice, tips etc would be greatly appreciated.

Tx guys

We rarely see the Coulter scopes in the UK. Here is a review by Ed Ting of the 13.1" which seems to confirm your comments on the quality of the mirrors:

http://www.scopereviews.com/page1b.html#7

I don't think it would be the basis for a planetary scope but as a low cost deep sky "light bucket" it could be a lot of fun.

• Like 1

The biggest issue I an worrying about is like if I build it and it horrible. Like will Jupiter be a blob, will stars never reach focus? I think that's not the case.

It's like comparing a $150 eyepiece to a $300 one. It's not that the cheaper 1 is bad it's just slightly less quality.

I just don't want to buy a 13" and it's worse than my 8".

The biggest issue I an worrying about is like if I build it and it horrible. Like will Jupiter be a blob, will stars never reach focus? I think that's not the case.

It's like comparing a $150 eyepiece to a $300 one. It's not that the cheaper 1 is bad it's just slightly less quality.

I just don't want to buy a 13" and it's worse than my 8".

The Orion XT's probably do have better quality mirrors in them than most of the Coulters did and it's quite possible that the Orion will show better planetary and lunar views than the Coulter would. The 13.1" would do much better on faint deep sky objects and thats the point of them.

If I was in your position I'd not commit to the Coulter until I'd had a chance to view though it and see what the optical quality and general build was like. The Coulters were basic scopes with basic focusers, no finder and rudimentary mirror cells and secondary support systems. Thats how they were designed. The Orion XT will seem quite a bit more polished and sophisticated.

The Orion XT's probably do have better quality mirrors in them than most of the Coulters did and it's quite possible that the Orion will show better planetary and lunar views than the Coulter would. The 13.1" would do much better on faint deep sky objects and thats the point of them.

If I was in your position I'd not commit to the Coulter until I'd had a chance to view though it and see what the optical quality and general build was like. The Coulters were basic scopes with basic focusers, no finder and rudimentary mirror cells and secondary support systems. Thats how they were designed. The Orion XT will seem quite a bit more polished and sophisticated.

Its just the mirrors, so can't view through them before I buy. I'd make the telescope from aluminum/wood from my uncles factory. 

Mirror is the original blue version, before it was mass produced and the quality went down. I'll take a week to think about it. Main thing is DSO > Planets/Moon.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Anthony RS
      I'm selling my my 70mm secondary mirror I used with my 150mm F4 newtonian for 100$ (final price). Shipping expenses (from Beirut, Lebanon) on me for free provided I use LibanPost for shipping. We can discuss using other shipping methods and maybe splitting the cost.
      The mirror is brand new, still have the original package and box, bought the telescope a month ago and used only twice. No scratches, not even dust (images attached). Excellent mirror, no issues whatsoever, 94% reflectivity and optimized for the offset of f / 4 Newtons, but it can be used up to f / 5. It's from TS, made in Taiwan, original price is 134 euros (including VAT) excluding shipping and custom fees. Link below:
      https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p10673_TS-Optics-Newton-Fangspiegel-D---70-mm-mit-Halter.html
      It does not come with the tilt screws and center screw though unfortunately.
      I can also sell you the spider vanes (1mm thickness) for 6 inch newtonian for 25USD. Also brand new but without the tilt screws and adjustment screws. https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p11056_TS-Optics-Spinne-fuer-6--Newtons---164-mm-bis-180-mm-Tubus-Innendurchmesser.html
      Let me know if interested.
      Clear Skies!
      Anthony
      <private email address removed>

• By sagramore
      Hi everyone. Thanks for looking. I know we're inundated with Mars pictures at the moment but I've not seen buckets of time-lapse and this marks a significant personal best for me so I really wanted to share it. I've not had seeing this good for a long time, especially with a planet this high above the horizon (I'm looking at you Jupiter & Saturn.....).
      Only 12 frames spread across ~1 hour, but nice to see some movement. One single still as a bonus too

Edit to add acquisition & processing:
      Skywatcher Skyliner 200P reflector (off my dobsonian), 1200 mm, unbranded 3x barlow for 3600 focal length, f/18 Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro mount ZWO ASI120MC-S - gain 33, 20 ms exposure, 2000 frames per video  
      Each video recorded with 5 minute spacing. 12 recorded in total. Stacked in Autostakkert 3, best 30% of frames. Wavelets, colour balance, and tweaks in Registax 6. GIF assembled in Photoshop with a few final contrast and levels tweaks.
    • By Balage
      Hi guys,
      I am a newbie on this forum, this is my first topic here but I would like to show you my recent planetary imaging results. I started to catch the planets with a dedicated planetary camera last month but never thought that a small 4" Maksutov can show such small details. The equpment I used:
      SW 102/1300 Maksutov 2.25x Q-turret Barlow lens QHY5L-II color camera EQ-3 GOTO mount All the images were taken on differend countrysides in Hungary. I hope you will like it
      Also, please share your images taken with similar OTA, I'd like to learn some tricks from others as well  

Jupiter's 15 minutes of rotation. Captured with Firecapture, processed in AS!3, Registax and WinJUPOS (2020.08.21)

Saturn, 1 hours stacked with AS!3, processed in Registax (2020.09.05)

Mars, 3 hours of rotation. Captured with Firecapture, stacked with AS!3, processed in Registax. (2020.08.22)

Mars again, 5 minutes stacked in AS!3, processed in Registax. You can see also Olympus Mons and Arsia Mons next to the terminator  (2020.09.05)

Finally, a result of a Hungarian star party where I learned how to use properly my equipment  This time I borrowed an ADC for Saturn.

• By Stargazer33
      Images taken between 04:02 & 04:15 this morning. 
      C9.25; CGEM; ASI385MC; ZWO ADC; ES 3x Telextender; Baader neodymium filter.

AutoStakkert!3; RegiStax6; PS CS4 Extended.
      Socially distanced comments/suggestions welcomed as always.
    • By Stargazer33
      Images taken between 03:01 & 03:52 this morning. 
      C9.25; CGEM; ASI385MC; ZWO ADC; ES 3x Telextender; Baader neodymium filter.

AutoStakkert!3; RegiStax6; PS CS4 Extended.
      Socially distanced comments/suggestions welcomed as always.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.