SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hey guys

A guy in my area is selling a 13.1" Coulter Odyssey, the 2 mirrors. I'd want to get an idea on the optical quality of them. He bought the many many years ago, and they still in the original package, hasn't been used.

1. Would the optics degrade over time if they were wrapped up?

2. What is the general quality of the mirrors. I have heard the optics can vary alot, and they generally not that great for planetary views.

3. He is selling them (and he mentioned the Rocker once) for around $350, is this good for a un-used mirror.

I'd like to build a really nice DSO / Planetary Dob, and this gives me hope if the optics are really good.

Any advice, tips etc would be greatly appreciated.

Tx guys

The biggest issue I an worrying about is like if I build it and it horrible. Like will Jupiter be a blob, will stars never reach focus? I think that's not the case.

It's like comparing a $150 eyepiece to a $300 one. It's not that the cheaper 1 is bad it's just slightly less quality.

I just don't want to buy a 13" and it's worse than my 8".

The biggest issue I an worrying about is like if I build it and it horrible. Like will Jupiter be a blob, will stars never reach focus? I think that's not the case.

It's like comparing a $150 eyepiece to a $300 one. It's not that the cheaper 1 is bad it's just slightly less quality.

I just don't want to buy a 13" and it's worse than my 8".

The Orion XT's probably do have better quality mirrors in them than most of the Coulters did and it's quite possible that the Orion will show better planetary and lunar views than the Coulter would. The 13.1" would do much better on faint deep sky objects and thats the point of them.

If I was in your position I'd not commit to the Coulter until I'd had a chance to view though it and see what the optical quality and general build was like. The Coulters were basic scopes with basic focusers, no finder and rudimentary mirror cells and secondary support systems. Thats how they were designed. The Orion XT will seem quite a bit more polished and sophisticated.

The Orion XT's probably do have better quality mirrors in them than most of the Coulters did and it's quite possible that the Orion will show better planetary and lunar views than the Coulter would. The 13.1" would do much better on faint deep sky objects and thats the point of them.

If I was in your position I'd not commit to the Coulter until I'd had a chance to view though it and see what the optical quality and general build was like. The Coulters were basic scopes with basic focusers, no finder and rudimentary mirror cells and secondary support systems. Thats how they were designed. The Orion XT will seem quite a bit more polished and sophisticated.

Its just the mirrors, so can't view through them before I buy. I'd make the telescope from aluminum/wood from my uncles factory. 

Archived