Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Carina Nebula from Namibia

chrisvdberge

I'm currently on 'astro-holiday' at Kiripotib in Namibia. 

First target on the list was (of course) the Carina Nebula. Below you'll find a (very) quick process of the 52x5minutes of data I gathered. 

Used a unmodded Nikon D600 with a 107/700 APM with Riccardi Reducer, mounted on Fornax 51 and guided by my Lacerta MGEN. 

Setup works like a charm! 

Quite pleased already with the result I must say, especially considering the fact I'm using a non-modified camera

19411642380_643a1e4418_b.jpg

We organised the astronomy part of the trip ourselves but booked the rest of the itinerary, accommodation, car hire and flights through an agent. Nothing to stop you booking the flights yourself though and the astro farms can arrange airport transfers if you don't want to hire a car.

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

thx all! Just got back yesterday and probably will post some more pictures here in the forums over the coming days. 

I had booked the stay with Kiripotib directly and the flights myself. Really easy, but of course you can always book things through your travel agent. I do think however that booking and arranging the gear you want to rent is best to do yourself ;) 

The nice thing about Kiripotib is that they own the equipment themselves (so no rent from a third party individual) and have support available when you are there to help you setup your equipment. 

thx for all the comments :) 

I've actually reprocessed this image; 

20014361852_5dc69f5fde_b.jpg

As for ISO setting: I used ISO 800 here. But a later test showed me I'm better of using ISO400 with the D600, so I'll be doing that from now on (under decent dark skies that is.)

I'm really amazed who a stock Nikon pulled out so much Ha, I have a D600 as well, the benefit of the D600 for the moment is that it is supported in my favourite capture program SGP, for mosaics for me that is a must.

So I'm hesitating to use the D600 instead of the D810A on holiday ...

Wonderfull image!

/Yves

I'm really amazed who a stock Nikon pulled out so much Ha, I have a D600 as well, the benefit of the D600 for the moment is that it is supported in my favourite capture program SGP, for mosaics for me that is a must.

So I'm hesitating to use the D600 instead of the D810A on holiday ...

Wonderfull image!

/Yves

The D600 is performing ok in terms of Ha sensitivity, but is no match to the D810A. There was someone else there at the time with a D810A, and 1 sub of carina nebula almost looked like my final picture. Don't forget that this is a very bright nebula, just like the North America nebula and any camera will pick up quite some Ha in this region.. 

Archived