Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Why is there so much stuff astronomers need?

I have been in the world of astronomy since Christmas and have loved it. I am only 12 and at £1.50 pocket money a week, I have very tight budgets. After reading a few websites and forums, I have found that there is so much 'stuff' I need - a collimator, new EPs, eyepiece cleaning equipment, an eyepiece case (I have started making one of these out of scrap wood) - its just too much!

So what do I actually need, what don't i need and is it worth stopping astronomy for a few years until when I can get a newspaper round or something?

Any help appreciated!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The minimum requirements are an enquiring mind and your eyes. A guide to the night sky can be borrowed from a library. A pair of binoculars, 8x40 or 10x50, would open up some new possibilities and you can get them in charity shops for £5 - £10. So you can be involved in the hobby for very little outlay :smiley:

Hi Joe,

I think that what you have will last you along time without spending any more. Lots of us (me included) keep spending money and quite often, we don't really need to. I would say, that perhaps for your next birthday, or maybe christmas, A cheap cheshire collimation tool would be nice, just to be sure the 'scope is working at it's best. You don't need to give it a rest, you'vegot a very good 'scope that lots of us would be happy to own. :)

There are lots of things that can be made cheaply. Next time your mum buys biscuits or chocolates, ask her to get them in one of those plastic boxes. I used one for my eye pieces for a few years and it worked fine. look in the diy section for some clever ideas that can save plenty 

I love the pure innocence/passion of this question/thread. I can only say that i started out in astronomy when i was 6 yrs old (im 41 yrs old now) and back when i started my parents bought me a pair of 10x50 binoculars and a Phillips planisphere. I quite quickly started learning the night sky and enjoying it. Obviously with 10x50 bins.......all i was seeing was stars and the Moon). 

That would be a great way to start considering your current financial circumstances (being 12 yrs old). Christmas is not a million miles away. Maybe ask your parents for a pair of bins and a planisphere. If you have a birthday before then............ask for the same.

Dont worry about what you will eventually need, just start off with a couple of things that you REALLY do need.....binoculars and a planisphere or a good book like "Turn Left At Orion". 

What do you already have?

I assume that if you are already building an eyepiece case that you already own some eyepieces and if you own those...........this means you probably already own a telescope?.

Dont stop or give up astronomy until you can earn money to pay for gear. Get out there on any clear night and even with your own eyes look upwards and admire the beauty of the universe.

Indeed!

Patience is a virtue and also the solution!

I am almost 4x your age and still don't get enough pocket money to buy what I think I need for astronomy either! :D

However, I have a birthday each year and luckily, I still believe in Father Christmas.

If you wait for these two events, it is surprising what you can ask for or save up for with any money you receive.

I'm sure relatives would be delighted at the thought of contributing to such a worthwhile and educational hobby, rather than the next xbox game!!!

It has taken me quite a few years to build up my collection this way, but the wait has been worth it, giving me time to fully appreciate the things I have and ponder at great length as to what I might want next time! :)

A paper round would also be a cunning plan however. ;)

You do not need a lot of stuff. My most used scope is a little ETX-70, I have scope (on mount), power supply (essential) and I use 3 eyepieces.

That is it.

The eyepieces are BST Starguiders, as information.

For the set of 3 eyepieces I used a food tub from The Range, the accessories are kept in a trolly bag, everything in one easy to grab location, the trolly bag came from Home Bargins and cost the excessive sum of £5 - it is a black and red one, smallest size they had.

I have a WO Megrez 90, on a manual mount, and owing to the abilities of the scope I take a full set of 6 eyepieces when using it. The eyepieces are again the BST's but as said the full set of 6 and seperate to the ones above. They are kept seperately.

I clean eyepieces when required and I use IPA and cotten wool buds.

One thing I suggest is think about what you need/want and make your own decisions.

Do you need filters? Doubt it, I have never used one in 15 years, so not exactly critical I would suggest.

I bought the set of BST's, OK it is 6, however my choice. I prefer all BST's instead of 1 or 2 from here and there.

I am sure if you go along to your nearest astronomy society they'll happily collimation your scope for you! ;) Also you sound like you're good at DIY, so you could make a collimation cap out of the focuser dust cap, but wear goggles! I learn it the hard way xD! Im 15 and use money from cutting the grass for my parents. Using this money I've managed to gain a pretty decent starting kit. So ask around for some chores to do, you can get money that way! :D

I already have an 8" dob and ES maxvision 68 degree 28mm ep plus the standard skywatcher eps. Sorry, forgot to mention that.

Ahhh - I might have responded slightly differently if I'd known that.

When I was your age I just had The Observers Book of Astronomy and an old pair of 8x30 binoculars to keep me going. That plus the coverage of the Apollo moon landing missions which was pretty motivational of course :smiley:

I'd have given my eye teeth to have the kit you have when I was 12 :rolleyes2:

The OP has an 8" already and a choice maxvision 28mm eye piece to enjoy.

Don't worry about dust etc. On eye pieces it is surprising what you can see through.

How do you know this info?. I must need new glasses.

8" scope already at 12 yrs old...............

He has some pretty nice parents. I salute them.

I just pm'd Joe and offered to send him some coloured filters that i have (surplus to my needs) for free. My offer still stands.

What a world we live in. When i was 12 yrs old........probably the only size scope available was 60-80mm Prinz refractor for a complete newbie.

How do you know this info?. I must need new glasses.

8" scope already at 12 yrs old...............

He has some pretty nice parents. I salute them.

I just pm'd Joe and offered to send him some coloured filters that i have (surplus to my needs) for free. My offer still stands.

What a world we live in. When i was 12 yrs old........probably the only size scope available was 60-80mm Prinz refractor for a complete newbie.

he read post #3 :)

Blimey....12yrs old ....8" Newt....Maxvision....

You're doing amazingly well on £1.50 a week - seriously, I'd just relax and enjoy. Plenty of time to spend £££££ later....oh, wait....by then you'll have bills, mortgage and whatnot :)

Get loaded while you can!!!

Joe, just look at what you've done! All these older persons who can't/don't read posts are falling over themselves to point out that you don't NEED anything that you don't already have.

Enjoy the hobby. Have fun.

You already have the best of kit; it sits on top of your neck. You'll be just fine.

sorry, you're on your own. Johns post was number 2 :)

John~~~"Ahhh - I might have responded slightly differently if I'd known that.

When I was your age I just had The Observers Book of Astronomy and an old pair of 8x30 binoculars to keep me going. That plus the coverage of the Apollo moon landing missions which was pretty motivational of course  :smiley:

That was post 11 or 12. I should have quouted him.

I'd have given my eye teeth to have the kit you have when I was 12"  :rolleyes2:

This was 

Hi Joe and welcome you have a fine piece of kit there as others have commented wish I had that at your age .
How are you finding the scope to use are you able to locate the objects you want to see easily enough ?
If so then I think you'll be fine with what you have apart from a collimation piece.
If you have a word with your mum or dad and get one to pm me your address I have a cheshire you can have free.
Stellarium is a good free software also I couldn't be without it.

Hi Joe....We don't NEED a lot of kit....we WANT a lot of kit.  Theres a big difference :)

The scope you have is a fine bit of kit and you have a good eyepiece there as well.  About the only thing you really need is a collimation tool but these can be had quite cheaply and you could, at a pinch, make one from an old 35mm film container or cotton reel.

The only thing you really need as an astronomer are your eyeballs and a guide to the sky and a dark night.  Everything else is a nice to have.

I shant bore you with tales of how when I was young we were lucky to have a disused cardboard tube to look through or how I once made a pinhole camera out of a shoe box with a glass plate and collidian dye to fix an image :)

I get only £7.50 a week and I am 48! With time, patience, birthdays, Christmas etc and astute buying and selling of used kit you can soon build up a good collection of gear.

My recommendation is for a right angle finder, a red dot finder (perhaps a telrad), a good star map and red torch plus a seat.

Then maybe a other couple of eyepieces and a Barlow. Good luck and enjoy!

Hi Joe and welcome you have a fine piece of kit there as others have commented wish I had that at your age .

How are you finding the scope to use are you able to locate the objects you want to see easily enough ?

If so then I think you'll be fine with what you have apart from a collimation piece.

If you have a word with your mum or dad and get one to pm me your address I have a cheshire you can have free.

Stellarium is a good free software also I couldn't be without it.

wonderful offer glynn. it's folk like you that make sgl what it is :)

Archived