Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Grab and Go Mount - Ball Head and Pan plate Combo

Fozzie

Some nice comments here, apologies to Geoff, missed his the first time round..

This is an interesting thread, thanks very much for the report and update Fozzie. I'm wondering if the ball head and/or panning plate could be used with the iOptron SkyTracker at all? I'm trying to settle on a ball head for that.

Thanks in advance

/p

I believe you maybe able to use a ball head with the ioptron... but I've not personally done this so I'd check it out.. a quick google though and it might well be compatible in some guise..

post-33699-0-66083900-1448031739.jpg

Just to update this a bit further, the scope that is now my grab and go is a 72mm ED F6 lightwave, about 2.3kg.. with a 1.25mm diagonal and RDF finder the pan plate just holds it own with a slight tweak of the tensioner..

if anything the light weigh tripod lets it down but then as the primary aim was for airline travel then it's more than adequate..

Ta

Fozzie

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Fozzie,

Are you still using this ball mount solution  for grab and go and if so are you still happy with it. An update would be much appreaciated. i'd also be interested to know whether you use it with your 72mm Lightwave, if so do you get any problem with the scope colliding with the legs when pointing to the zenith? 

Edit - just seen your above post and that you are using it with the 72mm, sorry! 

Thanks

rob

Hi Rob,

Yes still using the ball head and pan plate combo.. although I've made a few alterations to allow for better balancing of the scope, which has been an issue over the little 80mm Achro I originally used.

I've introduced a 170mm long quick release plate like this

QRP.jpg.b8fd27e3fd80c81d752c2345a47a5d60

Which allows me over 100mm off adjustment in the saddles to balance with.. Will post picture later.  I've not noticed any clashes with the tripod legs, but then I've only really used the combo for white light so I wouldn't necessaryily be point up..  I'll give that a go tonight too.  However the tripod I have also has an extension middle pier that can be moved up and down of that happens. (kills your stability for a second or too though!)

Overall I've spent around £60 on the head, pan and large release plate, about a third of a second hand az mount for a similar tripod.. im happy with it for quick GnG.

Will post a few other pictures tonight.

Ta

Fozzie

8 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Hi Rob,

Yes still using the ball head and pan plate combo.. although I've made a few alterations to allow for better balancing of the scope, which has been an issue over the little 80mm Achro I originally used.

I've introduced a 170mm long quick release plate like this

QRP.jpg.b8fd27e3fd80c81d752c2345a47a5d60

Which allows me over 100mm off adjustment in the saddles to balance with.. Will post picture later.  I've not noticed any clashes with the tripod legs, but then I've only really used the combo for white light so I wouldn't necessaryily be point up..  I'll give that a go tonight too.  However the tripod I have also has an extension middle pier that can be moved up and down of that happens. (kills your stability for a second or too though!)

Overall I've spent around £60 on the head, pan and large release plate, about a third of a second hand az mount for a similar tripod.. im happy with it for quick GnG.

Will post a few other pictures tonight.

Ta

Fozzie

Thanks Fozzie, it's good to hear you are still using it and are happy with it. I have been looking at the mini giro or  similar but really baulking at the price and liking the idea of only spending £60!! Would appreciate the pics if you have time. :) 

• 1 year later...

Thanks for this thread @Fozzie I've been looking for a lightweight travel mount for my little ZS66.

I've just taken delivery of the parts and am impressed with the results and the smooth action with the ZS66 attached.

I've not had first light yet but first impressions are good.

Thanks for the idea, I'd never have thought of this setup.

Ade

On 07/09/2015 at 20:33, DirkSteele said:

That is an ingenious approach.  Look forward to hearing how you get on.  I agree about using fluid heads.  I have a Gitzo bird watching head, but above about 55 degrees the scope is so far over mount that it constantly drags down when you lock.

Unless you use a TV-60, of course...

DSC_0894.thumb.JPG.82ba6ffba3d8f3c3ffe29f8e420e8b97.JPG

:happy11:

Archived