SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Thinking about replacing my Skywatcher 10" Dob with a Skywatcher 200P EQ5 GoTo... Maybe..

They are good images.

I use an gso RC scope on an eq5 goto mount. It's been spot on for imaging. I guess it depends if you are going for world class images or if you are happy to just take Good images.

Again, Personally, I find the the eq5 perfect for what I need it for.

I would say go for it. Maybe with a smaller scope the 130pds or 150. By the time you have your camera on there you'll want to keep the weight down a bit. Having said that mine copes fine with camera and guidscope.

The way I look at it, is that you make the most of what you have. Very few of us do this professionally, so can't really justify the thousands of pounds it can take to started straight away with world beating kit.

Anyway you need to serve your time doing it the hard way. It no fun going out and blowing millions and have the computer do it is it?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

EQ5 can handle a 200p but the combination of the scope, camera etc will be right on the edge of EQ5s capacity. If you can house the scope and the mount so that they are sheltered from the gusts of wind and the likes then both observing and imaging are a possibility. I used to have an EQ5 Pro and I even managed to image once or twice using a twin rig set up but balancing the whole thing was nightmare.  As for the trade off of the aperture  I can't be specific as I am no observer but as they say in observing the size of the aperture is the king. If I have a reservation with regards to your choice it would be with the 200p  and not EQ5 as it is not exactly the easiest scope for imaging due to a multitude of reasons the long FL and the bulk are only two that springs to my mind and before anyone accuses me of being biased against the 200p I do own a Quattro 8s and a 150 PDS and I find that my HEQ5 Pro really struggles with the Quattro 8s and this is less bulky and shorter scope than the 200p.

Regards,

A.G

I spent a couple of years imaging with a 150P on a small mount. EQ3-2 in my case. I tried an EQ5 for a few weeks as a potential upgrade but that particular example wasn't significntly better than the EQ3-2 so in the end I went for an NEQ6. I have no doubt that an HEQ5 would be fine as well with the 150P but know a few people who have found the 200P too much and have ended up with either NEQ6 or a smaller lighter telescope.

As above, if you want to do visual and imaging with one scope then a 200P is a fair choice but personally I feel it's weighted in favour of visual use. If you want an 8" visual scope, get a Dob ;):D if you want to image on an EQ5, get a 130p or 150P at a push.

Here are a couple of my recent efforts with the 150P

post-5915-0-02865000-1437084248.jpg

post-5915-0-29339400-1437084229_thumb.jp

post-5915-0-01975600-1437084215_thumb.jp

These all are great images :) 

I might try to see if I can arrange bringing the camera and adapter to the guy who is selling the second-hand 200P/EQ5, and maybe try it out on the spot there. (just taking a 5 & 10 min raw exposures to check the tracking accuracy).

Hopefully he will be okay with it.

I spent a couple of years imaging with a 150P on a small mount. EQ3-2 in my case. I tried an EQ5 for a few weeks as a potential upgrade but that particular example wasn't significntly better than the EQ3-2 so in the end I went for an NEQ6. I have no doubt that an HEQ5 would be fine as well with the 150P but know a few people who have found the 200P too much and have ended up with either NEQ6 or a smaller lighter telescope.

As above, if you want to do visual and imaging with one scope then a 200P is a fair choice but personally I feel it's weighted in favour of visual use. If you want an 8" visual scope, get a Dob ;):D if you want to image on an EQ5, get a 130p or 150P at a push.

Here are a couple of my recent efforts with the 150P

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Gorgeous images Rik, quite amazing.

Lovely tight stars, and such depth to the images. Shows that keeping within the capabilities of the mount really does make a difference.

Archived