sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

M57 - Ring Nebula

Got this one at the end of last month. I actually have over an hours worth of data, but this image is from a single frame. Whenever I stack the others in DSS the end result is just a grey file, and I dont know how to fix that.

This was the first real test of my newly (self) modded 350D. I have comparison pics with an unmodded 400D, but the difference is amazing. Most of the red in this pic shows as blue on the 400D.

1 x 300 secs or so iso 800.

Cheers

TJ5476_large.jpeg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great capture TJ, you can certainly see the difference the mod makes to the overall colour balance of the image, and you have picked up so much more detail on the ring structure as well. Looking forward to seeing more images from the modded camera.

Steve.

Very nice image there TJ,

Ref. DSS - When this has finished stacking I also get a grey (over exposed) image on the screen but there is an option on the left towards the bottom of the screen to save the image, (can't remember the exact wording but I'm sure you will know it when you see it), and the saved image will look completely different to what is initially shown on the screen after the stacking process has completed.

Hope this helps

;)

Ian

Beat me to it Ian, in DSS up the saturation level to between 15-20% (3rd tab) once the image has stacked, or as Ian says, use the Autosave image or save the image and process in Photoshop. Try an auto levels and see what it looks like, it will initially appear very dark, all the info is in there you just need to tweak it out.

Excellent image BTW.

Brendan

Great image Tim. If you look at the RGB Levels curve tab and you will find that DSS has a applied a log curve function to the data. Click on the link check box then on one of the tabs where it says log and change it to Asinh. Then tweak the cental slider on one of the colours so that the histogram peak sits on the transition of the curve and press apply. Voila the image should look a whole lot better, then tweak to you like it. You will probablly have to set the saturation to about 15 to 17% to get the colour looking right.

Regards

Kevin

LOL! I'm trying, i'm trying already!!

Kevin has been helping out, but I was still getting grey images.

It seems DSS takes the CR2 files and imports them as a greyscale image for some reason? There IS RGB data there, but it is all greyscale in PS, very odd.

I have used canons batch converter to swap them for 16bit tiffs, and am gonna try again with DSS.

TJ

TJ, your signature shows a 400D, DSS can take 400D RAW files directly and process them, are you setting the correct camera model as in the attached pic, these files should work no problem.

When you stack the image you can tweak the histogram settings directly in DSS (better in Photoshop), you do need to up the saturation to see the colour image as previously advised.

Brendan

post-13788-133877340759_thumb.jpg

ok, thanks for that. I THINK that I have that section selected etc, DSS is right now processing the tiffs I have given it, so I cant check.

The camera is a canon 350D for this one (I have both). The last stack came out looking a whole lot better, but had artifacts from a single frame that was not aligned, so it's had to be re-done.

Cheers

TJ

That's a splendid M57. You are improving at a rate of knots TJ. The processing is always going to be king once you have the data collected.

I see you mentioned Tiff files, not sure you can post tiffs on SGL, thats if you were contemplating doing so.

Ron. ;)

Loads of nice detail in there - I look forward to seeing the stacked version. Ironically, this is one DSO that responds very well to the attentions of Registax as the wavelets function, if used judiciously, can bring out some of the hidden data. Nice image though, especially for a single frame.