Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I decided to add some cool facts about a few stars that I photographed (Arcturus, Deneb & Vega). They kinda turned into infographics.

soundwave

I took some photos of Arcturus, Deneb & Vega, and wanted to add some cool facts about each star and now they're more of an infographic.

The people over at Reddit's astronomy forum seemed to enjoy them, so I thought I'd share them here as well :smiley:

I made these just for fun and education, so I hope nobody will be too upset that I used some icons that I found on the web.

The photos of the stars were taken by me with a 10" Dob and a Samsung NX2000. Single frame for each star, edited in Lightroom.

At the bottom of each infographic I added some properties of the star, and a size comparison to our own host star.

Updated Arcturus version:

0548007b555e54f1b298fea33a7c27a2.jpg

Yf0gZvrm.jpg0w4umWYm.jpg ZhF78oVm.jpg

Really good. Very professional looking and informative as well as interesting factoids. I like the suggestion of making top trump cards. Magnitude, size, distance from Earth etc. it would work quite well!

Thanks  :smiley:

I've been corrected about Arcturus' core. It seems that it has not yet started fusing helium in its core, but is fusing hydrogen in a shell around a degenerate helium core.

Eventually the helium core will get dense and hot enough to start fusing that helium.

I've updated the Arcturus info (http://i.imgur.com/e29CkuO.jpg), but I can't seem to edit the original post anymore, so hopefully people scroll down  :grin:

e29CkuOm.jpg

I love them!

Most of your factoids were either new to me or I'd forgotten them long ago.

When I was a boy I used to fill scrapbooks with drawings and magazine cuttings and the like about stars, planets and the constellations. I enjoyed collecting all those little facts.

Thanks  :smiley:

I've been corrected about Arcturus' core. It seems that it has not yet started fusing helium in its core, but is fusing hydrogen in a shell around a degenerate helium core.

Eventually the helium core will get dense and hot enough to start fusing that helium.

I've updated the Arcturus info (http://i.imgur.com/e29CkuO.jpg), but I can't seem to edit the original post anymore, so hopefully people scroll down  :grin:

e29CkuOm.jpg

I think you get 15 minutes to Edit post then there set in concrete as far as us non Mods are concerned, nice write ups keep them coming......

I've updated the Arcturus info (http://i.imgur.com/e29CkuO.jpg), but I can't seem to edit the original post anymore, so hopefully people scroll down :grin:

e29CkuOm.jpg

Hopefully I have added the updated version into your original post so everyone sees it

Where did you get your data from? There is so much contradictory information on the internet when it comes to data about stars. Especially the bright but distant ones

When I found an interesting piece of information, I tried to double-check it on another website. And also tried to get the latest articles on that specific piece of info.

Most of the data is from Wikipedia and various articles around the web (from places like space.com).

And pieces of info containing properties were also checked on WolframAlpha.

Of course not all the info is exactly the same on each source (small variations), and some objects have a large uncertainty (especially in the case of Deneb).

There's a volunteer at a certain observatory that asked to print these out and hang them there. Hopefully he/she will actually do it :)

Here is the link to the album itself: http://imgur.com/a/Hyznw

There, I update any corrections.. For example, I wrote Arctutus instead of Arcturus in one of the texts, so I fixed it and updated the album.

And if/when I make more, I will add them there.

Archived