Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

soundwave

Venus (a bit over-exposed) on July 4th.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Halil
      Hi All,
      I took this picture by coincidence while trying to take photo of a single cloud on the sky.
      Is this Venus?
      Thanks.

• By Kronos831
      Hey guys. Thought about  starting this thread. I feel like we all should inform eachother and newer members alike about the magngifications that can be achieved on planets,that provide the best sharpness/size ratio,depending on the scope and seeing. After this thread has grown a bit, i feel like this should be pinned,as to provide a little guide to newer members that are not experienced with planetary observing,as many will be fooled with the typical 50x per inch of aperture and get disappointed when they find that that image will be dim and blurry.
      For my 8” F/6 Sky-Watcher Dob
      For Saturn i like to use 150x in medium seeing and if i want something a bit bigger , switch to 240x ,which will give me a bigger,but blurrier image.iBut In good seeing, i found that 240x was very usable.When we have perfect conditions, i m certainly trying 300x.
      Mars, isnt very big in the sky right now,so even at high magnifications like 300x it still appears as a small orange dot. For observing mars,I suggest waiting for it to reach opposition.It benifits hugely from it! However,this happens once every 2 years....But 5ere are other planets to keep you occupied until then, such as jupiter,saturn and   Venus.
      For Venus, i use 50-100-120 depending on its phase.
      For  Jupiter, i like to use 150x, as it provides a very sharp image,with key features of the planet such as bands being very detailed.Waiting on my 6mm UWA Skywatcher to bring it to 200 and see how that plays out. Be careful! Don’t magnify jupiter too much, as it will loose much of its features and sharpness.
      Neptune and Uranus: These two will not impress, but are certainly have a nice colour to them. Even ar high magnifications, such as 300x and 400x, they will look like small discs with color in them.Uranus will look be colored green and Neptune a fainter blue.
      Mercury About mercury...Havent gotten the chance to observe it ,so the guys will have to inform you about that?
      Feel free to give your own opinions as to give members a wider source of information to help them observe better ! 
      Cheers and clear skies.
      Kronos

• By mikeyscope
      Another image of the Moon, Venus & Spica yesterday morning.
      Pentax K5 / PENTAX-DA 12-24mm F4 ED AL [IF] lens @24mm / f9 / iso 1600 / 5 sec exp.

• By Cosmic Geoff
      At around 14.35 GMT today I observed Venus, Mercury and Jupiter, with my 127mm Mak SLT GoTo.
      Venus was a large, very thin crescent, trembly in poor seeing. Mercury was easy to see once I got my eye in, and Jupiter was easier to pick out with a red filter. 
      Mercury and Jupiter are now not far apart. (7min RA 3 deg Dec.)
      The visibility of Mercury seems dependent on atmospheric clarity.  On several days recently I looked for it but could not see it.
    • By Cosmic Geoff
      Aided by GoTo, I observed Venus in daylight this afternoon.  It is only a few days from inferior conjunction (26th) and appears as a large thin crescent.  It's in an unfavorable position for Northern nocturnal observers and appeared almost below the Sun.  I could not see Mercury (which should have been accessible).
      And before you comment, I checked carefully where the 127mm Mak was pointing before putting my eye to the eyepiece.?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.