Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

OK - tonight's stuff

Ambermile

Hi Martin

Emission line imaging involves taking narrowband images through filters such as the Hydrogen Alpha (Ha), Hydrogen Beta (Hb), Oxygen III (OOOO), Sodium II( SII) and so on and then assigning these images to either the red, green or blue channels arbitrarily (although a luminance channel is taken in the normal way - normally :( ). This gives a false colour rendition of the target but in many cases allows greater detail to come through.

Arthur

PS - that motorised wheel on Ebay never sold - I am "negotiating" :lol:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look foward to seeing the first ones Arthur, i know Peter Shah does alot of them , i just love them ,outstanding colour for me and super detail,

Well, Peter gets awesome dark skies up in Welshpool I suspect :(

maybe when i get skilled enough i can go for that ,

Rog

... and what makes you think I am then? you're only about 4 months behind me with the Artemis - and I've not been well :lol:

Arthur

Thanks Arthur, just about there with the theory now at least. sounds fascinating and something I am very keen to have a go at eventually. I am still a bit puzzled about the role of the luminance image. Is that used to calibrate the overall image??? Sorry Arthur, I will trawl the web for some tutorials rather than keep bombarding you with questions.

Martin

giggles the lum image Martin if i am correct is the main processed image in b/w this is the quality image , hi res , the finished frame, the other narrow band images are taken processed and finally added to the lum image for the colour,

Arthur will correct me if i am wrong.

Rog

Yup - you got it Rog. The luminance supplies the basic framework of the image on which we "hang" the colour frames. Without a well-defined luminance layer there would be little contrast or depth to the finished pic. Having said that, a true bw luminance is not a requirement - one can be synthesised from the other layers if needed.

Arthur

i,m a bit confused on this one a bit , if was imaging an emission neb , i would use an HA filter. this i would think is the best way to get the enough data for the lum image , so would just using the other filters narrow band be enough to get a good lum image ,

A bit lost here now ,eehheeh

Rog - there's no hard and fast rules about where you get the luminance from, or what filter you get any particular colour from. Or even if you shoud use RGBL or CYMK! You have to mess about and see what's best for the effect you are going for. Obviously a strong L is going to impinge on other layers but will give a more defined result... you have to suck it and see!

Arthur

Archived