Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

damnut

Leap Second

Don't forget to turn back your clocks, leap second will delay midnight by one second tonight!

Darn! I wasted it...again  :eek:

I must remember to stay up and enjoy every, um, second of it.

• Like 2

"A clock threw seconds at me, which I lazily dropped and they fell into the past,

lost forever."

I stayed up especially to change our clock to the correct time, then realised it's radio controlled and I needn't have bothered :grin:

Radio controlled eh!

How does that work?

Do you put the clock by the radio when the "pips" come on?

Michael

The MSF time signal, originally broadcast from Droitwich and now from Cumbria, is both a time signal and a frequency standard at 60kHz.

There are all kinds of clocks and watches available that can receive this signal and automatically set to the precise time.

http://www.npl.co.uk/science-technology/time-frequency/products-and-services/time/msf-radio-time-signal

http://www.watchshop.com/Radio-Controlled-Watches.html

I thought the best atomic clock signal came from Rugby, smack in the middle of the country?

I thought the best atomic clock signal came from Rugby, smack in the middle of the country?

Yeah, that was it MSF was Known as the Rugby Time Signal. For some reason I've got Droitwich in my head as the transmitter site. But that's not even near Rugby...Hmm...

Anyway, it moved a few years ago to a new transmitter in Northern Cumbria. 

Edit: I'm confusing things with the BBC radio 4 Long Wave signal on 198kHz. That is also controlled by an Atomic Clock but is used to control domestic Economy 7 switch gear. This is transmitted from Droitwich.

Edited by Paul M

Oh no Y2k bug all over again :grin:

I sense that you're joking but it did screw up a lot of the servers at work.