Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

groverro

Crayford Focuser for 12inch Skywatcher Dobsonion

Hello,

I wanted to upgrade my focuser on 12inch Dobsonion, wanted to ask if anyone has done that and which one did you go for?

Thank You!

I went for the fairly modest Moonlite CR1 on my fairly modest 6" Dob. The original focuser had an awful lot of slop and the upgrade was well worth it, in my opinion.

My DIY abilities are quite atrocious but even I managed to complete the task - although I had to buy a pack of small files to complement the installation kit in order to 'expand' the original holes in the tube.

I suspect it would be less finicky on a 12".

I slapped a Moonlite CR2 on my 8" dob....

6E271882-8EBD-4A87-9938-0D386189D875_zps

The only issue I had was the bolts were imperial and I didn't have an imperial set of Allan keys.

Other than that, it's fantastic!

Plus 1 for the Lacerta 1:10 upgrade, simple to fit, and makes focusing  spot on.

Yup - the Lacerta is the one I went for too - I have it on my 8" newtonian, but it will fit the 12" model too. Works a treat. :)