1564402927_Comet2021Banner.jpg.a8d9e102cd65f969b635e8061096d211.jpg

Venus /Jupiter conjunction- have I got it wrong?

Right then, Neil. That will have to do it for me. Can't see a blessed thing but cloud here.

Still a bit bemused by the distance between them that you describe ... but I'm trying to avoid Ghostdance's rabbit hole!

Enjoy your viewing.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Here are a couple of pics, one taken 29th, the other on the 28th.post-30409-0-52618400-1435654208_thumb.jpost-30409-0-66677800-1435654236_thumb.j

They were both taken at roughly the same time (within 20 mins), and the same focal length of 300mm, so we can make a straight comparison and see that the planets have come considerably closer over the 24 hours.

Thanks for all the replies guys, this has been a hoot, very enjoyable and informative.

Here's a shaky Regulus from last night, for good measure!

post-30409-0-16506000-1435654583_thumb.j

• Like 1

The pair are looking nice here at the moment. Quite a bit of broken cloud towards the West but they keep popping in and out. I'm looking down the Severn Estuary here, towards Barry. I'm not going to cart my scopes up to the bedroom though - binoculars and the naked eye will have to do :smiley:

A *lovely* sight here...for five minutes.

Then the Chimney Confederacy and the Cloud Council got together. It was crystal clear *last* night when I couldn't partake...

A conspiracy I tell ya!

Sigh...was nice while it lasted...

No clouds or chimbleys here, looking nice from our upstairs front bedroom

NEWBIE QUESTION: So, they are both on the elliptic - why doesn't one eclipse the other then?

Richard

I had a peek in my binoculars too, was a nice sight, similar to the jupiter/mars (or was it venus mars?) one earlier in the year. Got my telescope all setup early evening ready for some imaging, went out about 11.00 and realised with full moon I couldn't see anything - north completely blocked, south mostly blocked, couldn't see saturn as just below roof line, and had to stand to be able to see venus and jupiter in the west, and the moon dominated the east. Typical!

Nice photo though, Swithin!

For a "conjunction" it was possibly best seen naked eye, optical viewing increased the apparent separation. Nice low power sight in a short focus 4.5" Newtonian showing the crescent of Venus and Jupiter with its cloud bands and moons in the same field. Both planets almost occulted by midges!  :mad:

• Like 2

Just a thought, but if Venus and Jupiter were shown on a chart as 1cm apart last night, then a cart covering 180 degrees of sky, horizon to horizon would be 5 1/2 metres across. Stellarium gives a much better idea of the separation as you can zoom in more.

When I take a pic of the moon at prime focus with my 16" dob it just about stretches across the wide section of my dslr fov. The two planets were positioned more or less on the edge as well, so I think I good rough guide of their separation last night was a moon diameter. (Visually I mean)

Edited by Scooot

22 minutes or 1/3 of a degree apparently. i could just fit them both in the DSLR FOV with a x2 barlow, but it looked silly with one in each corner so I took the barlow off.

The seeing was a bit poor too, so no detail on Jupiter.

So officially the conjunction never happened? Surprising with the knowledge they have now

The conjunction doesn't mean the two objects are superimposed, it means they both have the same right ascension i.e. they both cross a line down the sky from the north pole to the south pole at the same moment. What was reasonably unusual about this event is that they were relatively close together at conjunction -  its possible for them to be much more widely separated or so close taht they do, in fact, go one behind the other - that is then an 'occultation'.

• Like 1

This was the only pic I managed to get (on 29th June). If memory serves me correctly Regulus was above the other end of the Palace of Westminster when I took this so the original post does indeed seem to be Jupiter and Venus.

post-33858-0-50062500-1436092105.png

Unfortunately it was cloudy on the 30th :sad:

Edited by DRT
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the replies, the RA explanation was interesting. I realised that conjunction doesn't mean occultation, I guess I was expecting the planets to be a lot closer than they were. Still, as was pointed out, they looked pretty close to the naked eye.

• Like 1