Hi all.

I have a problem with light pollution and wonder if a pop up toilet tent might be the answer as it is 1.9mtr tall.

has anyone tried this approach, please advise.

Richard.

If you email your council that you're having problems with the lamppost they may change the lamp head. My council changed the rubbish plastic box lamp heads to a modern one where it shines mostly downwards.

Don't know if the toilet tent would work or not - I'll leave that to the more experienced to decide. In the meantime, have you looked at light pollution filters? I think most screw onto the end of the eyepiece and increase contrast.

This article has a couple of suggestions: http://www.spaceanswers.com/astronomy/ten-tips-to-minimise-light-pollution/

Works for me, as a shelter,  although I need an additional sheet to cover the tent during the Winter Months due to there being  less foliage on the trees unable to block  the street lights. Now the vegetation is back, I have a darker garden from the  street lighting, but my skies are light till about 2300Hrs here during  the Summer. Just can`t win!

Check my gallery?

Hi all.

I have a problem with light pollution and wonder if a pop up toilet tent might be the answer as it is 1.9mtr tall.

has anyone tried this approach, please advise.

Richard.

We have one of the Aqua Dome toilet tents, which has a larger interior than most.  The fabric doesn't really block light out to any significant degree as you can see from the photo, and I don't think toilet tents are designed to. We bought this one for weather protection on our travels.

Consider making up several PVC pipe frames and attaching a tarp or black plastic sheeting onto them. Three frames can be connected together to form a U-shape enclosure which would also act as a wind brake.

post-21902-0-95325200-1435490953.jpg

We have one of the Aqua Dome toilet tents, which has a larger interior than most.  The fabric doesn't really block light out to any significant degree as you can see from the photo, and I don't think toilet tents are designed to. We bought this one for weather protection on our travels.

Consider making up several PVC pipe frames and attaching a tarp or black plastic sheeting onto them. Three frames can be connected together to form a U-shape enclosure which would also act as a wind brake.

I'd have thought that at least a little opacity would be preferable in a toilet tent!

:eek: lly

Archived