Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

70mm ed vs 80mm achro..

Morning, I've had my eye on a better travel frac to sit on top of the camera tripod.. my usual set up is here in this thread..

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/218736-planets-globs-sun-and-moon/

I'm wondering if, and I know that build wise and ca wise there will be no contest between the ed and the 80mm achro, but in practical terms of say dso viewing, would I be sacrificing too much or would the over improvement of scope package off set the loss in appature?

Thanks in advance

Fozzie

* obviously title should say 70mm but I've had no coffee and the auto correct got me!

A small ED scope would be better in some respects shorter FL for wide field observing plus the ability to carry very high magnifications if you wanted some lunar/planetary views the dowside is that suitable eyepieces are likely to cost more and they are sometimes supprisingly heavy for their size.

Alan

I would prefer the sharper images that should be produced by the 70mm ED over the extra aperture of the 80mm - but that is me.

I would then collect the 5mm, 8mm and 25mm BST and that would be the travel package.

You might be able to drop the 3.2mm BST in but not really sure it is worth considering.

Think you have to remember that the intention is as a travel setup, it is too easy to start looking at how to get 250x and view the dimmest nebula - usually simultaneously.

Thanks gents... that gives me some food for thought, the ability to carry a sharper higher mag with less CA is definitely appealing, I suspect it would be a better WL scope too..

Don't think I'll be collecting bst though Ronin, should have enough range of mags with my exsci 82's and SLV's.. and a 2x extender as well gives me lots of range..

Thanks

Fozzie

Suggested them as I have a 70m scope for much the same. Found that I was better keeping a trolly bag of items for the 70mm. In it are the eyepieces, tripod spreader, Tracer battery, car leads and extn lead. I simply grab scope, grab bag and go. Don't have to rummage through the "main" eyepieces deciding which to take, and if something happens to the travel eyepiece then no impact on the main ones. Fancy damage/loss to the ES 82's or SLV's ? :eek: :eek: :eek:

I see your point... emphatically made too.. i do have some revelation super plossl’s (60deg) that are better above f5.. These might do the trick as quick up and go.. use them for when my nephew is looking through the scope and my brother as they both have a tendency to grab the ep before looking through!

I'd prefer an ED. I have a ZS66 and old TV Pronto 70mm which give very satisfying views. I've used the ST80 as a finder on the big Dob and as guidescopes but they have a lot of CA and coma along with a rather milky, inconclusive view from cheap coatings, I guess.

Olly

Archived