Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cheap is nasty

webtubbs

Got tired of my red dot finder not being very accurate so i got a Seben 6x30 Right-angle finder scope off ebay for $25, thinking it must be better that what I've got.

Well, yes and no. The cross hairs are nice and thin, but turning the focus ring moves the croshairs all over the place! I've got it all screwed tight now so no movement, and hopefully i can test it out tonight. But i wish now I'd spent a bit more on something decent....

Lesson learned [emoji12]

I've had a look at the Telrad on youtube, but I'd really need to see one in action before I would purchase one. The problem for me is there are no star parties held in my part of Tasmania.

But i like the idea of a RACI, so we'll see how this cheap one goes.

Good idea to find out how well yourself and the RACI get on, and you have the thing now as well.

Unlike most here I cannot get on with a Telrad, I would be better with 2 pins pushed into chewing gum to act as a sight. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have no idea why the apparent incompatability but having tried one before considering buying I at least know the situation.

I find RDF's good for myself however. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As said a bit of a strange world. :grin: :grin:

Sometimes expensive can also let you down.

I bought a Baader Vario finder reading the advert and believing it would be decent quality. First off the Vario scope would not focus stars to a point on axis, it made 4 points of light arranged in a pattern following the line with the crosswires which do have a raviable lighting system. Even after a so called special selection by Baader I am not pleased with it for 360 Euros,  with the mounting rings. I wouldn't even sell it to someone else, that how I feel about it.

I have 5 finders and by far the best are the the two that came with scopes and they are the cheapest of those I have if you buy them as an item. This is one case where the cheaper was better though the Baader and TS finder are 60mm so a little bigger.

Alan

I always use my 9x50 finderscope from my seated position. Just so accustomed to it. I sold my first Telrad, but sadly felt something was missing. The new Telrad adorns my telescope but now only gets used at darker sites? I also need to wear prescription glasses to see the bore-sight? Its a Marmite accessory, love or hate it, it gets limited use from my home observatory.

The Telrad is a solid piece of kit, slightly bulky but can be shorted with a saw? or raised with an additional mount, as the reach is awkward for some folk, depending on where placed on the scope. If you bought one and did not like it, there is always a market for them, or refund to the store.

No testing tonight, too cloudy. I aligned it before sunset and it seemed ok as long as i dont have to adjust the focus.

I hadn't considered resale of the telrad. Might get one to try out, although i am a bit worried about how bulky it is on my telescope. Will it affect the balance much?

Everything is normally locked down on an EQ system so I wouldnt think it would be too much of an issue, apart from when the telescope needs any tube rotation? I still have the 127EQ but never tried the Telrad on the Celestron.

• 3 weeks later...

So I've had a few nights out with the Seben finderscope and it is pretty good once aligned. Horrible to align though and needs to be checked every time I use it. My skies are also pretty dark so I can't see the cross hairs, but I've found that I can get pretty close by seeing the star dim slightly when it passes behind one of the hairs.

So I think a RACI is for me, I just "need" a better one. In the meantime, I've picked up a 2nd hand Rigel QuikFinder for A$50 which I'll mount side by side with the RACI. Looking forward to testing this out!

Archived