30sec_exposures_2021.jpg.48851b1871a4bf9500ebd53c3e790d81.jpg

Vixen LVW replacer on the way?

YKSE

Very true green and black looks the same in the dark, I just prefer the lack of Versace colour scheme when in the case. I am sure I have a shirt with all those colours on that would have bought a top line eyepieces today.

attachicon.gif00000001.JPG

Got to do a "show us your loud shirt thread" *couldn't help myself

On topic, I'm interested in these also, a lot of promise if they can deliver with good eye relief..

Edited by Fozzie
  • Like 2

I only had one LVW, a 3.5mm which was just too much mag for my long scopes. But I was very impressed by the superb build and uber sharp field stop with a really nice wide field. Would love to get a couple of the longer focal lengths.

Ref the Meade thing, I really rated (still do) the 3000 plossl Japanese range from 16mm and up..absolutely pin sharp EPs and very solid build. Better than yhe 4000s IMO.

I now have a pair of chinese 5000s in 25mm (1.25") and 32mm(2") and really like them. Again excellent build, very sharp and lovely rotary adjustment of the eyecup.

I'd be less likely to buy a Meade scope, heard some scare stories but am sure there are good and bad samples..I do think the Bresser versions of their cheapish achromats seem to be a notch up on Meade quality, with a bit more thought and quality built into bundled accessories for instance..

Dave

I too am watching these with interest being an Lvw fan, I reckon it may be time to add a couple more to my set, or do I wait for the replacements to come out????? :-)

+1 for the Meade 5000 eyepieces, I have a couple of pairs which I use in binoviewers and I rate them alot, good value for money.

The new Vixens should be good if the quality of the LVW's is anything to go by.  I have often thought the LVW could not be improved upon, but would like to see reviews of the new 83 degree series when available.

happy to see that Vixen finally upgrades its wide angle series. I found some new pictures of the SSW range eps exhibited at cp+ 2015 in Japan. The only difference is the letter changed to white colour - i think it looks great.

post-40789-0-50369300-1436504278.jpgpost-40789-0-79443800-1436504288.jpgpost-40789-0-01545900-1436504299.jpgpost-40789-0-68402700-1436504324.jpg

• Like 2

Great find, by the looks of a few photos there the twist up eyecup suggests reasonable eye relief too, a tantalising suggestion at least.. my exsci 82 11mm & 14mm just had a cold shiver...

Do we know any potential release dates???

Ta

Fozzie

Thanks for finding those extra photos :smiley:

You can see the family resemblence between them and the SLV's including the twist up eye cup and the anti-roll body shaping. The prospect of 83 degree eyepieces with longer eye relief is quite exciting, especially for those who wear glasses when observing. It will be interesting to see if Vixen can really crack this though as I've read eyepiece design articles which imply that getting, say, a 20mm eye relief in a well corrected and short focal length 80+ degree eyepiece would require some pretty massive lenses difficult to accomodate in the 1.25" barrel. We will see :smiley:

I've dropped the UK Vixen importer a line asking about these - I'll report back if and when I know any more.

• Like 1

I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much as surely they can't have achieved a low aberration 83 degrees with good ER all at the same time? Still, I can't help but be I little bit excited by these. 

Thanks for the latest pics, I think the white writing looks both clearer and more aesthetically pleasing. The proof will be in the optical pudding and I can't wait until pudding :)

If they are not too expensive I'll volunteer as an early adopter. 

I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much as surely they can't have achieved a low aberration 83 degrees with good ER all at the same time?

Not sure that ER can be a obstable here. Good ER in eyepieces with wider FOV need to have bigger eye lens, as in T4 naglers , while T6 naglers are designed for compact size, therefore shorter ER. As shown in the pictures, the longer focal length(result in larger exit pupils) SSWs have bigger eye lens, which seems to promise longer ER.

PS:

For an eyepiece with AFOV alfa and eye relief ER, resulting a certain exit pupil Ep, the eye lens diameter D should be at least

D=2*tan(alfa/2)*ER+Ep

• Like 1

FLO should be posting some news very soon - I've just sent Steve the latest official announcement :-)

The new Vixen SSW eyepieces are now listed at our website. The first deliveries are expected around October. 

They are not Chinese-made as expected. They are made in Japan, like the Vixen LVW  B)

We shall make a set available to John Huntley for review  :icon_salut:

HTH, 
Steve
  • Like 1

We received an email this morning confirming once current stock (in Japan) has sold out, the Vixen LVW series will be discontinued. 
Some focal lengths have already gone and others are in short supply. 

We are receiving mixed messages regarding the Vixen LVW, we are now unsure if the LVW will continue alongside the new SSW or will be phased out. If we hear anything we will let you know :smile: 

Steve

Not sure that ER can be a obstable here. Good ER in eyepieces with wider FOV need to have bigger eye lens, as in T4 naglers , while T6 naglers are designed for compact size, therefore shorter ER. As shown in the pictures, the longer focal length(result in larger exit pupils) SSWs have bigger eye lens, which seems to promise longer ER.

PS:

For an eyepiece with AFOV alfa and eye relief ER, resulting a certain exit pupil Ep, the eye lens diameter D should be at least

D=2*tan(alfa/2)*ER+Ep

Thanks, I'll have to transpose the formula making ER the subject and plug in some figures. I wonder what the biggest eyelens diameter D could be in a 1.25" eyepiece? I'm guessing around 25mm?

• Like 1

Can you make a set available for Alan Potts for a second opinion? I will then move :grin: . One can live in hope.

There is no doubt you could write an informed review, Alan, it's just a shame you don't live here in the UK. Please remind me after John has reviewed them, I'll then see what we can do :smile: 

Steve

Any idea on prices yet Steve? I'm very interested in these, the description of them sounds like an ideal eyepiece to me.

We won't know until nearer to when they arrive but they are unashamedly premium eyepieces so we are expecting around £250. 

FLO,

Jolly nice of you if we can pull something off, I have a dewshield to get later in the year. As long as the eyepieces are not more than 5kg in weight I can send them back to you at 23 quid which I can live with, with the pound stronger it may even be less now.

Alan

Thanks, I'll have to transpose the formula making ER the subject and plug in some figures. I wonder what the biggest eyelens diameter D could be in a 1.25" eyepiece? I'm guessing around 25mm?

The trigonometry leading to the equation can be derived similar to the picture here, you just need to replace the converging point to the right with the size of exit pupil.

Just found some specifications on cloudy nights for these...

3.5mm--13mm eye relief--230g--83 degrees--1.25" barrel--lanthanum and tantalum glasses used--no vignetting to f/4.0--non rolling body--Full Multi-coated including cemented surfaces--retractable eyecup

5mm--13mm eye relief--230g--83 degrees--1.25" barrel--lanthanum and tantalum glasses used--no vignetting to f/4.0--non rolling body--Full Multi-coated including cemented surfaces--retractable eyecup

7mm--13mm eye relief--225g--83 degrees--1.25" barrel--lanthanum and tantalum glasses used--no vignetting to f/4.0--non rolling body--Full Multi-coated including cemented surfaces--retractable eyecup

10mm--13mm eye relief--220g--83 degrees--1.25" barrel--lanthanum and tantalum glasses used--no vignetting to f/4.0--non rolling body--Full Multi-coated including cemented surfaces--retractable eyecup

14mm--13mm eye relief--210g--83 degrees--1.25" barrel--lanthanum and tantalum glasses used--no vignetting to f/4.0--non rolling body--Full Multi-coated including cemented surfaces--retractable eyecup

Looks like eye relief is on a par with nags and es82... Ish... Not the 20mm like I was hoping like the slv..

Also retailing over the pond at $349... A direct competitor for naglers perhaps?

Ta

Fozzie

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/506378-new-vixen-ssw-eyepieces-are-almost-here/

Edited by Fozzie
  • Like 1

Just found some specifications on cloudy nights for these...

3.5mm--13mm eye relief--230g--83 degrees--1.25" barrel--lanthanum and tantalum glasses used--no vignetting to f/4.0--non rolling body--Full Multi-coated including cemented surfaces--retractable eyecup

5mm--13mm eye relief--230g--83 degrees--1.25" barrel--lanthanum and tantalum glasses used--no vignetting to f/4.0--non rolling body--Full Multi-coated including cemented surfaces--retractable eyecup

7mm--13mm eye relief--225g--83 degrees--1.25" barrel--lanthanum and tantalum glasses used--no vignetting to f/4.0--non rolling body--Full Multi-coated including cemented surfaces--retractable eyecup

10mm--13mm eye relief--220g--83 degrees--1.25" barrel--lanthanum and tantalum glasses used--no vignetting to f/4.0--non rolling body--Full Multi-coated including cemented surfaces--retractable eyecup

14mm--13mm eye relief--210g--83 degrees--1.25" barrel--lanthanum and tantalum glasses used--no vignetting to f/4.0--non rolling body--Full Multi-coated including cemented surfaces--retractable eyecup

Looks like eye relief is on a par with nags and es82... Ish... Not the 20mm like I was hoping like the slv..

Also retailing over the pond at $349... A direct competitor for naglers perhaps?

Ta

Fozzie

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/506378-new-vixen-ssw-eyepieces-are-almost-here/

The eye relief is very similar to the 12mm that the Nagler T6's have. I was hoping they might manage something like 16mm but until we use them we won't know what the useable eye relief is. It's measured from the centre of the surface of the eye lens and most of these ultra wide designs have concave top surfaces to the eye lenses and some recess the eye lens a little too. Both can reduce the actual useable eye relief markedly. Add an inflexible eye cup to the mix (which some brands also use) and what seems generous on paper becomes meager in practice.