Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Dr_Ju_ju

Thoughts on a new mount...

Learned Peeps, thoughts please...

For the coming months\years, I'm looking to update my current EQ5 mount for something that can handle larger\multiple OTA's e.g. Sky-Watcher Explorer 250P with guide scope, cameras etc...

Any mount I get, will normally be fixed to the pier I've built in the garden, but I'd also occasionally, want to take it to events such as SGL 11 etc., and will be used mainly for photography.

I'm currently toying with the idea of getting either a Sky-Watcher NEQ6 PRO or an AZ EQ6-GT GEQ, both have, on paper, they both have same(ish) specifications, albeit with the added functionality of the AZ, at a greater cost.

For those who have used either\both, which one would you go for? or do I save some more pennies for an EQ8 \ Mesu 200?

AZEQ6 gets my vote, the mounts are not really the same at all though.

The AZ has a lot better alt adjuster, better clutches, snap port (not sure if the other has), heavier duty counter weight bar (25mm vs 18mm) & is retractable, dual encoders which work, it's also a fraction lighter & is a hybrid belt drive system.

So the two are really like chalk & cheese.

After owning the AZ for a while now I can attest to it's accuracy & quality, made my CG5 look a bit 'small' shall we say, it works very well with EQMod & is easily able to do long subs.

If it was me I would save up for the best you can afford as you won't regret doing so.

Anything else about it drop me a PM if you like.

All the best & happy buying.

PS a Mesu would obviously be better if you can save that long.

I had an NEQ6Pro and upgraded to the AZE6GT which is all together better machined and more easily adjusted/accurate. It's a little dearer - and surprisingly a little lighter - but overall a good step up from the NEQ6Pro and a huge step up from the EQ5.

That said - the NEQ6Pro is a good mount - but you may have trouble with tilting it upwards for polar alignment if you're observing at 53 degrees north or above. The altitude bolt has a tendency to wear the lug it pushes against and eventually slides under it - then you're into major mods. Hth :)

• Like 1

No question, the AZ EQ6 is the better mount by far. Better engineered, better in use, better durability, plus it gives the facility to do AZ observing when you want. The belt drive is also marginally quieter.

No question, the AZ EQ6 is the better mount by far. Better engineered, better in use, better durability, plus it gives the facility to do AZ observing when you want. The belt drive is also marginally quieter.

I have not heard an NEQ6 PRO but my AZ is silent unless I am slewing it, you may find yourself checking it's moving at all, but even full speed the sound negligible.

If you are going to events,(I do, to star parties) the EQ8 is very heavy. It doesn't sound to bad on paper but in real life it is big heavy and awkward. In its box the head is 46kg. The legs add another 30kg, if boxed that increases to about 46kg. It really is a two person lift, unless you are young and 6foot tall. It is not the weight so much as the height to get it over the boot sill into the car.

I had a NEQ6 great mount, not as good as the EQ8 by a fair bit but much easier to manage.

Best of luck,

Derek

Thank you everyone, an AZ in on order.....

Good choice Julian, happy gazing.

Yet another advantage over the basic version is the improved power connector. The old one was prone to damaging the motherboard in a cable wrap.

Olly

• Like 1