Narrowband

Who are your ep suppliers?

If you've read my other recent posts, you'll know I'm dying to get my hands on a new scope. An 8-10 inch dob. Does the ep size (1.25 or 2 inch) effect anything view wise? What are some decent quality ep's for the money? Keep in mind I'm upgrading from my Powerseeker 127eq to a moderately (in my mind) sized dob as my second scope. I'm not looking for "professional" grade ep's, but I'd like a nice mid level set of ep's. I'll be upgrading from all Celestron ep's, except for one, that I somehow misplaced... Still upset about that one. I can't wait to get my hands on "real" equipment. I'm still not bored with this scope or ep's even after two years. Just looking to expand my horizons yet again is all. I also recently picked up a set of 10x42 bins. Still have yet to test them out. That's a totally different post though. Thanks for all of your help over the time I've been here. It's greatly appreciated.

if your gettinga dob, i have seen many dob users just ahve 2 ep's a baader Zoom mk3 and a nice lowpower wide field lens. those combined with a decent 2x barlow would be similar to having 12 diffrent eps!

the great thing about the Baader is it comes with a 2" and 1.25" adapter, with optional 2.25 barlow

I keep hearing that the BST explorers are really good upgrades. I've purchased a couple of Maxvision Ep's and are pleased with them.

Your topic title states suppliers rather than make of eyepieces, so I'm a little confused as to your questions roots?

As you are in Minnesota you need a US supplier. They are sold primarily are Astro-Tech Paradigms: www.astronomics.com

They are again available under one or two retailers own name, AgenaAstro sell them as Dual ED Eyepiece.

Both are $60.

So the BST' aren't an option for me? Or are they just under another name? Now that I have good US suppliers to pick from, back to my original question. What are some quality mid range ep's if the BST's aren't available here in the US?

if your gettinga dob, i have seen many dob users just ahve 2 ep's a baader Zoom mk3 and a nice lowpower wide field lens. those combined with a decent 2x barlow would be similar to having 12 diffrent eps!

the great thing about the Baader is it comes with a 2" and 1.25" adapter, with optional 2.25 barlow

Thanks,

I have a a SW 200p.  Its nice when choices are simplified.  You have just answered almost every question I had on the subject :laugh: 

Cheers,

Mark

Being In America I would look out on the secondhand sites for some Meade series 5000 eyepieces of ExSc ranges, optical elements wise they are the same eyepieces though ExSc do an 11mm where Meade do not. The 18mm UWA are different as well but I read they are the same glass just different size fitting, it was the one I never had.

These I feel will serve you better if you go to say F4.5 reflector and the UWA rages will have a much larger FOV.

Alan

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I was wondering what some good brands were, and what websites are good to purchase from.

IMO, the best offers you can find at Telescopes.com, e.g Zhumell 8", 10" or 12" Dob. The quality of GSO mirrors is quite good and they also include laser collimator, RACI finder and fan on primary mirror, their prices are always highly competitive not only for telescopes, check their website. For example their Zhumell Planetary eyepieces are the cheapest LER rebrands on the market (compare to the Orion Edge-On or WO SPL at 2x+ price tag). I got Z8" from them more than 3 years ago and am very happy. The same GSO scopes branded as Apertura now are being sold elsewhere at much steeper price. And the fact you may like about Telescopes.com, they are former Duluth based binocular company acquired by Hayneedle :p .

A disclamer: I don't have any affiliation with Telescopes and/or Hayneedle, just a happy user of their products sharing my experience :grin: .

Being In America I would look out on the secondhand sites for some Meade series 5000 eyepieces of ExSc ranges, optical elements wise they are the same eyepieces though ExSc do an 11mm where Meade do not. The 18mm UWA are different as well but I read they are the same glass just different size fitting, it was the one I never had.

FWIW, the ES82s are rebrands of the older Meade 5K UWAs (non-waterproof) so optically are the same. There are rumors that the newer Meade 5K UWA (waterproof) are made by a different manufacturer. In the Meade 5K UWA WP line they dropped the 4.7mm and 6.7mm but added the 5.5mm eyepiece and also replaced the 1.25" 18mm for 2" 20mm. I have the 14mm  non-WP UWA and 8.8mm WP UWA and frankly don't see any difference, both are excellent performers except some FC in the 14mm to what I'm quite tolerant.

The 1'25"  ES82s and Meade 5K UWAs all share 7 elements in 4 groups while the 2" ES82s and Meade 5K UWAs all but the 20mm Meade 5K UWA have 6 elements in 4 groups. The 20mm 5K UWA has the same 7 elements in 4 groups as the 1.25" eyepieces, but optically, judging by negative reviews is the runt of the litter .

Archived