Hi from Teignmouth, South Devon

John Baker

Hi my name is John, I am new on here and my primary interest is wide-field astrophotography. Basically trying to incorporate landscapes into night sky photography with a bit of a leaning towards including the Milky Way.

I shoot a variety of Canon equipment, my primary astro "go to" camera is my 1Dx fitted with a very old Canon EF 15mm fisheye as my weapon of choice.

Attached is a shot taken earlier this week, I was out looking for the aurora which was widely reported as being visible in the South West. Failing miserable to see the green sky monster I was rewarded by a great view of Milky Way over the St Lawrence Castle also known as the Haldon Belvedere a prominent landmark close to Exeter.

I look forward to being inspired & learning more

Best wishes

John

post-45469-0-21099000-1435319330_thumb.j

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Sara, I must admit I have been doing this for several years and had astro images in local and national press. But I am always looking for inspiration and keen to learn more.

Here is another shot - the ISS crossing Roche Rock in Cornwall, with a nice MW in the background, using a very large moon as a light to illuminate the ruined church :)

post-45469-0-90281900-1435320949_thumb.j

hi John and welcome from south wales,thats a great image mate, i look forward to seeing more from you.thanks for sharing..charl.

Hi - I am just back from a week at Broad Haven, managed a couple of amazing night shoots. The Green Bridge & Stacks were a bit of a pain as the range was closed, but after discussion with Range Control they were happy for me walk in - only 6 miles :)   Carreg Samson was a great find, but I had a frustrating time at Pentre Ifan – Clear Outside said it was clear and visibility was 10 miles, reality was it was raining and we struggled to see the end of the bonnet. Nice shot of the Seaweed Hut at Freshwater West.  I look forward to seeing some of your images...

post-45469-0-40609200-1435321864_thumb.j

Hi John and welcome to the forum. Nice collection of images you have there and look forward to witnessing your obvious ability as it develops further.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Hi John,

Warm welcome to SGL. Great set of images, look forward to seeing more of your work.

Hi John and welcome to the forum. Nice collection of images you have there and look forward to witnessing your obvious ability as it develops further.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Hi welcome to SGL.Look forward to seeing your work :)

Hi John and welcome to SGL, I see your are well into wide field imaging, with some great pictures, enjoy the forum :)

Hi John, welcome to SGL :)

Great set of images. I hope we'll see many more from you.

Hi John, welcome.

Hi John, welcome to the SGL , and look forward to seeing more images :smiley:

Many thanks for  all the warm welcome's, great to see Mark (msh1) is a member - now why was that was not a surprise :)

One more shot for the welcome, another combined image from the Haldon Belvedere  which is a favourite local spot near to where I live.

Tonight I am planning a run over to the Day Mark Tower , near Froward Point, Kingswear, hopefully to use the moon to illuminate the tower and get a clear shot of the Milky Way to the South - hopefully I will have something to post tomorrow

I look forward to seeing your images and comments.

post-45469-0-57629500-1435350705_thumb.j

Archived