Hello from London

idanyd

Hi all,

I realized some time ago that it's been too long since I actually seen the stars. I live in such a light-polluted city, that for me the night sky is pretty much a dark canvas most of the time.

So I had a thought - maybe I'll take some friends, and look for a quiet, dark park or reserve to do some camping and star gazing. I know the Perseids will show around mid-August, so that can be a nice experience. Maybe even hire a telescope or two, for a more thorough look.

I set about gathering information about these kind of trips, but came short. 

the Dark Sky Discovery website, did list good Dark Sky locations, but it didn't have much helpful information.

I tried looking the SGL beginners' threads, but all I could find were technical recommendations and tutorials.

I realize this is not the usual type of questions you guys (and girls) are getting here, but I was hoping you could still help me - 

Is my idea viable? Is is thing? Do people do these sort of things?

And if so - where? Are there Dark Sky locations that allow on-site camping? What do I need to know before going there? What should I bring with me? What should I leave at home?

It appears I'm a total newbie when it comes to stargazing, so any nudge to the right direction would be appreciated (though a link to The Beginner's Guide to Stargazing Camping Trips in the Greater London Area would be much preferred  :rolleyes2:).

Thanks,

Idan 

Welcome from another Londoner.

I think you'd be surprised how much you can see, even under our dodgy skies. Faint stuff and wispy galaxies may be difficult but there is a host of other beauties that are pretty easy and free with their permissions :)

Can't help at all re your core question, but even the view with a moderate pair of binoculars may encourage you to at least try London-gazing. Planets, star-clusters, double stars, a whopping great galaxy....They're all see-able with bins or scope, even if not naked-eye. Last night I spent a happy hour with Saturn, the Ring Nebula, Hercules Great Cluster...

But of course, a dark site makes it all easier so good luck with your trips. But do try a pair of binoculars from home, at least :)

Hi Idan,

Warm welcome to SGL. The best instrument to watch for meteors is the eye. You get a widefield and you can track them easily!

This is the welcome section, what I suggest you do is to open threads (questions) in the other parts of the forums. There are folk on SGL who organise star parties so they would be able to provide you with some direction.

Hi Idan and welcome to SGL. You have the Baker Street Irregulars, who meet in Regents Park, well worth a visit, but they may not be so active at the moment, due to the Summer conditions, see their web site for further info. There should be some darkish sites outside the greater London perimeter, inquiries with local clubs may help to give you the answer to this one.

For something exceptionally dark, a camping trip to Ireland, some 700 sq km of South West Kerry was designated as the third darkest place in the World in 2014. Enjoy your Astronomy and the forum :)

Hi and welcome - I spent some time in Hampstead in the 80's and a home made 8 inch reflector showed galaxies and the ring nebula  visually, which amazed me and my neighbours - if you have the aperture you can see a lot in London - best wishes Tony.

Is my idea viable? Is is thing? Do people do these sort of things?

And if so - where? Are there Dark Sky locations that allow on-site camping? What do I need to know before going there? What should I bring with me? What should I leave at home?

Hi Idan, we most certainly do, if you browse the forum you'll see there is a Star Party (astro camp) arranged by SGL every year near Gloucester look for SGL11.  

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/246583-sgl-11-dates/?hl=+kelling

There are always 2 star parties in Kelling Heath Norfolk.  There is one in September but that's probably fully booked, and an extra one happening in November at kelling.  This is a geat event as it's approx 3 fields of astronomers all with varying kit.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/242873-extra-kelling-heath-star-party-in-november/?hl=%2Bkelling#entry2671969

http://www.kellingheath.co.uk/the-night-sky-at-kelling-heath-cid142.html

Baker Street Irregulars organise their own in the Brecon Beacons a couple of times a year and there is also the South Wales Star Party in October:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/241132-south-wales-star-party-october-2015/#entry2683617

South Wales Star Party

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/241132-south-wales-star-party-october-2015/

Peak star party usually happens in the Peak District every autumn.

Sixpenny Handley Star party in October (salisbury area)

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/246971-sixpenny-handley-star-party-2015/?hl=%2Bsixpenny+%2Bhandley#entry2687743

My own local group go on monthly star parties in Kent and Sussex.

Orpington astronomical society.

You just need to follow a few courtesy rules when at these star parties:

No white lights after dark (use red film over torches etc) do not switch car lights on after dark.

These events also mean there are lots of people keeping an eye on your kit, and lots of people who are normally happy to ask for advice.

Hope this helps.

Carole 

Hi Aidan,

Welcome,

There is also Kielder in the Autumn, Spring, Galloway as well. I know of at least one other astronomer who drives up from London to Galloway. He loves the skies there and thinks it well worth the trip and his time.

Derek

Archived