Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Using a telescope through a window

OK.  I'm fairly new to all this stuff.  I read the OP and all the responses.

I checked the linked examples.

How many have actually tried this?

I have.

I have previously set up a scope in a glass greenhouse and had some pretty amazing, dry and warm viewing sessions.

Seems to me that a lot of the responses in this thread are from people making assumptions.

Get out there and try it.

My experiences suggest that with single cheap greenhouse float glass there is little difference than being outside as long as the glass isn't filthy.

I do accept that if you have really expensivive gear you might notice differences that I can't see with my limited budget equipment.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I frequently observe from my bedroom window. Dropping the upper sash and fitting a blackout curtain to the lower sash means that I am protected from the wind, and am above and shielded from the streetlights outside. As we heat only the living room, the SCT is always at close to the outside temperature, and careful sealing of the downstairs window immediately below reduces rising air currents to a minimum. Although the amount of accessible sky without moving the mount and tripod is limited (WSW from +38 to -10, and about three and a half hrs in RA) it is quite sufficient to hold my interest for a session. Of course outside observation is better, but under certain circumstances I will take quick set up and comfort to the aternative under poor weather conditions.

Horses for courses!

I have tried observing though windows of different types, greenhouse, double glazing, single glazing etc.

While you can get basic views of astro objects though some windows the image invariably improves when you move the scope outside and remove the optical effects of the additional layer(s) of glass and thermal disturbance, if present.

Our atmosphere and light pollution present enough challenges to observing, over massive distances, fine detail, subtle contrasts and faint light sources that this hobby is concerned with without adding any more !

OK.  I'm fairly new to all this stuff.  I read the OP and all the responses.

I checked the linked examples.

How many have actually tried this?

I have.

I have previously set up a scope in a glass greenhouse and had some pretty amazing, dry and warm viewing sessions.

Seems to me that a lot of the responses in this thread are from people making assumptions.

Get out there and try it.

My experiences suggest that with single cheap greenhouse float glass there is little difference than being outside as long as the glass isn't filthy.

I do accept that if you have really expensivive gear you might notice differences that I can't see with my limited budget equipment.

It was my understanding that it's not really the glass thats the problem but the thermal updrafts caused by the warm air inside the house which results in hazy images, which is why you cool your scope before using it outside?

Have you considered a small Schmitt Cassegrain or Maksutov Cassegrain?  Whilst they are quite expensive and relatively heavy, they are very compact and should be easy to carry up and down stairs.

Celestron make an excellent 6" Schmitt Cassegrain and Skywatcher's Skymax 150mm has a good reputation.  Add £100 to £200 for an alt-az mount and you have a really nice portable set up.

However, this set up could easily cost you £600+, substantially more than many 8" dobs.

Archived