Milky Way, the snack you can eat between meals

Hello

I've not been on here for a while however I have a project that I need help with.

I would like to photograph the Milky Way.  The only problem is that I have no idea how to find it.

I would be most grateful if somebody could explain how I could find the Milky Way and probably more importantly, is there a better time of the year where it can be seen in all its glory?

Cheers

I have no idea how you'd photo the great river of stars but it's easy to see :grin: Head out to a good dark site - make sure you're safe and warm, carry a mobile and tell someone where you're going. When you arrive, look up at the night sky, if it is sufficiently dark you can't miss it. The Milky Way stretches across the sky, a huge band of star light. The best time to see the Milky Way is in the summer, but you can also see a fainter Milky Way in the winter.

Good luck and if you do manage an image, don't forget to post it up :smiley:

By far the easiest way of finding it is to use a smartphone app, you could also use a pc program (stellarium for example) without knowing where you are I cant really advise on where it will appear, but it is Big and if skies are dark you can see it naked eye.

From my position at the moment (Essex uk) the milky way arcs from north to south pretty much overhead.

Typically the Sagittarius region is most often photographed (the south end so to speak) and this is looking towards the core of the milky way.

Photographing it isn't as hard as it seems but I wont get into a tutorial (that's another thread lol

I would like to photograph the Milky Way.  The only problem is that I have no idea how to find it.

That says that whereever you are there is likely too much light pollution. If it is dark you will see the milky way, you will crick you neck just looking up at it, good chance you will not stop looking at it. So wherevever you are is too light by a long way.

The milky way passes through Cassiopeia so that is an easy constellation to find.

Simple way is a DSLR on a tripod, set it to Manual and you set everything, try ISO 400, Exposure of 25 seconds, set the lens to as wide as it will go and then back off 2 steps, get a cable release, aim at Cassiopeia and focus it then press Go. Assuming a standard zoom that is normally supplied try about 20mm or 25mm focal length.

It should deliver something but do not expect to win astrophotography competitions with the result.

25 seconds is as long as I guess you will get before trailing, you do have the option of bit more ISO or a bit more aperture. Let the camera cool between shots. If it is there you can let the camera do a Noise Reduction exposure as well - this doubles the exposure time, so if you set 25 seconds the full shot takes 25+25 sceonds, then allow it to cool for a minute at least.

Milky way passes through :

Auriga, Cassiopeia, Cygnus, Aquila which are visible at this time of year.

You need a dark site primarily.

If you google "milky way" and click on the "Images" link you'll get some idea of what you are looking for. By far the best way to see it in this light polluted world is from the darkest sight you can find - the darker the better. Just look up and you can't miss it - it's a huge dense mass of stars covering half the sky. :)

I find late August the best time for viewing the Milky Way. It is dark not too late, and Cygnus is high overhead with the MW streaming through it, with beautiful dark rifts showing.

You need a dark site, I often go camping in Dorset at this time and just lie back in my camping chair or on a rug and look up.

Here are a couple of star maps to help you.

3cbe4dd04f5e1e4969a1c4bf81671285.jpg

201545d7791695fce16708b833a308c8.jpg

Archived