SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Looking for scope storage bag/box, help please.

hi,

I have a skywatcher 130mm/900mm FF EQ3 scope, and I REALLY REALLY need to find a padded storage bag or box for it, as I cant keep it up on its tripod all the time and taking it in and out of the original cardboard box is destroying said box. *grr* plus its taking up a lot of floor space in my bedroom at the moment and i'm worried its going to get bashed/damaged.

I thought I'd solved it when i found this one..http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371329335513?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371329335513?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT but i'm told by the seller that the 130 EQ3 wont fit in that bag. *booo*

so my question is, how do you store yours to keep it safe from bumps, dirt, and keep it manouverable?

oh and i'm in the UK. if that helps..

I keep my 6se in a luggage case it's wheels. The original cardboard telescope fits it like a glove so I'm able to keep the scope in its original polystyrene mood. Very portable and very safe

I've used Thomann - very prompt delivery and imo good prices.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/accessory_utility_cases.html

Here's a couple of pics - in one I have used the packaging from the original c9.25, in the other I store the SW ED80 and TV85. Very safe, strong and secure. Plus easily moved on a trolley if necessary. Generally I just want stored nest and tidy.

I'm sure you'll find a suitable size and can then store your box and scope safe!

post-41919-0-93514500-1435079065_thumb.jpost-41919-0-57810000-1435079099_thumb.j

thanks for the replies, should've mentioned that i'm not rich.. ;-)

Star Forming, ohmygosh your set up looks amazing and such neat storage, but im scared to click on the link because that must have cost a lot.

Sub giant, thank you, ive heard good things about Geoptik, just having a good look through their options now, i dont necessarily need it to be completely portable, cos it really wont go anywhere off our land, (we live rurally no light pollution and so on, just one annoying lighthouse down the coast, which means we cant use the scope on that side of the house.. *grr*) it just needs to be safe from bumps and dust free, so it can be stacked in a store room type place, personally i'd leave it up on its tripod, but long story short we live with inlaws and they are such stick in mud old bores about things 'looking messy' they got hacked off with it being in the front hall, a room which they never use.. so i dont see the problem, but obv they think there is one. *grr*

I'll cross my fingers and hope Geoptik have one i can afford, i'll let you know my outcome. thanks.

Oh that does compare ish, if i could fit the mount and stuff in the same case then it deffo would be worth considering, sure would make it safer from knocks frommthe hoover or the father in law being clumsy. *hmm*

Have just been eyeing up padded golf bag carry cases, nice and cheap on places like amazon but most get terrible reviews.. and then the ones with good reviews are more than a Geoptik bag. *doh*

oh and I realised my OP says, an EQ3 when its a EQ2. sorry.

I got a big plastic box with a lid from the range and bought some off cuts of foam £20 quid all in.

I can't find a plastic box long enough for this thing, I even tried the extra long page on plastic box shop, (they are usually the best place for any plastic boxes you need) and the biggest one they do is only just long enough, if i left it unpadded.. which isnt an option.

I can't find a plastic box long enough for this thing, I even tried the extra long page on plastic box shop, (they are usually the best place for any plastic boxes you need) and the biggest one they do is only just long enough, if i left it unpadded.. which isnt an option.

This is a Skywatcher  150p in the box there are longer but not as deep ones i picked this because of the depth.

My 127 mm mak fits perfectly in one of those £30 aluminium flight cases with the pre cut foam, has space for the raci finder, electric focuser and 70mm travel scope too. Nice hard case with plenty of cushioning and about 1/5 the price of anything labelled 'astronomy'. Yours should fit easily.

This one looks near identical to mine, mine just had the pre cut pluck foam

http://www.cases-and-enclosures.co.uk/aluminium-flight-case-550x220x175mm.html

Also bought a smaller one to hold my planetary webcam, DSLR, Barlows, filters and a couple of eyepieces. Cables are kept in the backpack that came with the travel scope.

I've used Thomann - very prompt delivery and imo good prices.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/accessory_utility_cases.html

Here's a couple of pics - in one I have used the packaging from the original c9.25, in the other I store the SW ED80 and TV85. Very safe, strong and secure. Plus easily moved on a trolley if necessary. Generally I just want stored nest and tidy.

I'm sure you'll find a suitable size and can then store your box and scope safe!

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hey Tony, 

Taking the scope over to Isle of Wight to visit a friend so looking into something like this! 

Any chance of posting a link to the case you use? 

And did you have to cut down the original packing to fit?

Regards, 

James 

the aluminium flight cases, they only do one long enough, and its a flat rifle case. so no where near the depth id need. *boo*

have just spied a Christmas tree storage box on Argos, (plastic) for £25 and it looks big enough, just need to double check measurements to figure how much padding i can squeeze in.

and Geoptik mailed me back and suggested this one, saying i could get tripod and mount in there too if i added some protection.

http://www.geoptik.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=85&product_id=90

but now i' m leaning more towards a solid box.  maybe i could get two of the argos one and use one for scope and one for other bits.

just a suggestion, have you got a "MAPLINS" near you, I bought a nice sturdy pannier type case with foam for about £45 to store my EQ5 head in, so they may have something suitable for you too, they are also on ine,

I personally have used a large makita power tool bag to store an 8"SCT. Bags are made to be rugged and durable. For fitting the scope i simply made a baaic styrofoam mold with some soft cutaway foam used for camera cases etc layered over top. Cheap alternative and very effective.

I bought a FatMax toolbox from b&q for about £20 and lined it with underlay foam and it does the job a treat. Gets banged about no end and everything inside remains nice and cosy.

They do various sizes and there's always a deal on. For bigger stuff you can get ones on wheels and seem simarily robust.

No need to spend hundreds especially if it's just to keep it safe at home.

I should have thought about this before getting a 150PL - L as in 'long'. The nearest decent site near me that can be guaranteed hooligan/[removed word] free will involve a 2-300meter walk form the car, so I want to be able to take everything in one go. My idea is a plywood coffin  with compartments for scope, mount and tripod and somewhere to latch on the extras. Now add a couple of 8" wheels from Machine Mart...

Hmm I could weld up a chassis and add an electric motor and have a self-powered telescope transporter. Add GPS and all I'd have to do is put it by the road and  follow it :-)

Archived