Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It can be red, green, amber or any other term they care to give it unless they can also remove the cloud it will make no difference if it is the greatest aurora display in the history of our solar system.

It's also very unlikely to be dark enough anywhere that is far enough north to see it!

Yes, I was coming to that conclusion myself.  Looks like it will most likely only be over Scotland and we're at the worst possible time of year for darkness.  The only time it really gets dark at night even this far south at the moment is when it's raining.

James

Thanks for posting. Cloud, pouring with rain & cold.....Fire on...Must be summer :grin:

Blimey, that's bad.  It absolutely tipped down here for twelve hours solid starting yesterday evening and I had to put a coat on when I went to let the chickens out this morning, but I am at least still in shorts.

James

Thanks for posting. Cloud, pouring with rain & cold.....Fire on...Must be summer :grin:

I'm out the back right now in shorts, on the laptop, cooking up a few sausages, listening to the radio and having a few drinks. 

Shame its raining cats and dogs.

Just kidding. I'm doing none of the above apart from listening to the radio and having a few drinks. Yeah.............i know............its only monday. 

Nice evening though. Sun is in and out all day. I lost count how many times today that i got my solar observing gear out only to be foiled by passing clouds.

Yes, I was coming to that conclusion myself.  Looks like it will most likely only be over Scotland and we're at the worst possible time of year for darkness.  The only time it really gets dark at night even this far south at the moment is when it's raining.

James

Darkness, what's that, even further south, and as far west as is possible in  EU + TZ it does not go dark at all at the moment, and I love it.

Tipping down, yeah got that too..

I steadfastly wear shorts n sandals at this time of year and refuse to be compromised by plague, pestilence, floods, or blizzards., even when things are turning blue.

I get more specific warnings from the met office as part of my work.  Over the weekend we went through the tail end of a CME which is still active.  Tonight (well. a few hours ago) we get one full on hence the Red Alert.  Luckily it's cloud free down here.  I've not much hope, but I will keep an eye out.

Last night I set up my camera on time lapse and managed to capture the aurora all the way down here in Newport, South East Wales.  I'm absolutely chuffed to bits.  It looks as though it came in 2 waves; just after midnight and the second just as dawn was breaking.  I'm editing the footage now.

Archived