SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from West Sussex

Damian1085

Hello Stargazers,

My name is Damian and I live near seaside in West Sussex. At age of 29 I decided I need to pick a hobby that always fascinated me. So here I am. After browsing the net and educating myself on types of telescopes, different types of equipment and DSLRs for astrophotography. Then couple of hours more on SGL forum I decided to pick a pair for Celestron SkyMaster 20x80 Binoculars and a solid tripod to get into observing and learn a bit more about the sky above. Thanks to this forum I've also found some very useful Android aps that helped me find myself during my journeys through the night sky.

To allow myself to learn the astrophotography I bough second hand Canon EOS 1100D with EF-S 18-55mm kit lens to get going and teach myself photography (next, would be ultra wide angle lens, probably Samyang 14mm), plus Adobe lightroom trial version.

Totaled at around £300 for a "starter pack" I am very please that I did not spend thousands of pounds on Evostar 80ed ds-pro with HEQ5 pro and Canon 60Da, that would probably lead me to frustration of not being able to navigate through the sky and get desired results. Ultimately this would be my desired equipment, but at the moment I should be just fine with what I've got.

Thank you for having me here, as soon as I get first descent photos of some night sky I will post them and await constructive criticism.

Hi Damian and welcome to SGL, should be an interesting start with your intended camera Astrophotography, if you are into a little simple DIY, you might like to look up the many threads written around Dave Trott`s Barn Door camera device. Will assist in giving you some tracking time, to enable longer exposures to be made of the night sky, enjoy your photography and the forum :)

Archived