Seriously ?

Davey-T

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Galaxy Ronaldo, what next galaxy Boris ? 

In the name of ALL thats Holy, please NO!

If we are to start naming Galaxies after people, instead of diving, unsportspanlike behaviour, only loyal to their contract sportsmen or buffoons, why not name them after DESERVING people.  How about; The Unkown Warrior Galaxy?  Martin Luther King Galaxy?  What about naming each new discovery after Iraq/Afghanistan veterans?

That way, the soldiers will be remebered forever, and not just for the few seconds politicians say "we won't forget them"

Cheers,

Mark

If the IAU (i assume its them doing this?) are now letting celestial objects been named after sports people......then i have lost all and any faith in them as an organisation and simply will ignore anything that they say or do. 

It all started to go down hill when Pluto was demoted. 

Oh..........heres an idea;

Lets name a big crater on the Moon after Jeremy Clarkson (something as big as his ego), because he seems to be the talk of the town and popular culture of late.

*sorry..........no crater on the moon is as big as his ego*.

LOL.

Surely scope to have corporate/commercial sponsorship of celestial objects - seems to be prevalent in just about everything else these days...

That is what is so annoying. You take most soccer grounds, rugby grounds and music concert venues. They have all been renamed after big corporate multi-nationals.

Lansdowne Road in Dublin (home of Irish soccer and rugby) is now "The Aviva Stadium".

It irks me to no end.......this sort of thing. I guess money talks............and forget the history of a venue.

Thank God that Croke Park in Dublin has not been bought out and renamed by such companies. There is too much history in that place for it to be renamed. It has been redeveloped into an 80,000 seater venue..............but the name remains and ALWAYS will.

Wembley stadium is still Wembley stadium. Thankfully. It has history.

or big mac galaxy." othier snax are available".

It's just a matter until marketing and advertising buy out every object in the heavens. 

The Pepsi Nebula

Bic Mac Cluster

Starbuck's Grande and Tall Galaxies (Large Magellanic Cloud, SMC)

That is what is so annoying. You take most soccer grounds, rugby grounds and music concert venues. They have all been renamed after big corporate multi-nationals.

Lansdowne Road in Dublin (home of Irish soccer and rugby) is now "The Aviva Stadium".

It irks me to no end.......this sort of thing. I guess money talks............and forget the history of a venue.

Thank God that Croke Park in Dublin has not been bought out and renamed by such companies. There is too much history in that place for it to be renamed. It has been redeveloped into an 80,000 seater venue..............but the name remains and ALWAYS will.

Wembley stadium is still Wembley stadium. Thankfully. It has history.

So Irish soccer  and rugby got a shedload of money from aviva, and exactly the same games are being played there. So remind me, whose the loser here? If silky sams hemeroid cream offered me a butt load of money to hang a sign off my house, it'd be there tomorrow and I'm guessing there might even be one at your house too if the price is right?

It's a name...thats all, a name

Archived