Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn with cheap webcam

Finally had a clearish night, so took some video of Saturn (now that I can find it!). Took 3 lots of ~1min, with the last of them the best. These are the best images I got from AutoStakkert!...

post-44212-0-55086300-1434887703.png

post-44212-0-96491600-1434887710_thumb.p

The view through the EP was much clearer than I got with the video so I think the focus was out a bit. Plus it's a very cheap webcam so I wasnt expecting very much.

Thanks Guys. I'm in the Southern Hemisphere, so Saturn is at 64º at the moment. Next time I get a clear evening I'll try a Bahtinov mask and see if I can improve the focus.

Yeah, I think so. When I unscrewed the focusing assembly from the webcam, all sorts of lenses and bits fell out leaving only the sensor behind. Build quality wasn't the greatest. But as I used the 10mm EP that came with the scope as the tube, do you think it'll be worthwhile looking for an IR filter to screw into it?

Great shots, what type of scope do you have?

I'm really interested in astrophotography. I am waiting on my Celestron SLT 102 just to look up at the night sky.

I had my first Wow moment looking through my C90 at the moon about 2 months ago, beautiful it was. :shocked:

Archived