Baader "Clickstop" Digital Camera Adapter

philsail1

Hello all! Just taken deliverey of a Baader "Click Stop" digital camera mounting "jig" from David Hinds at Celestron. Cost £32.00 inc P+P. This jig allows you to connect virtually any digital camera "afocally" (to the eyepiece) of your telescope. It comes in a soft black leather pouch, "bubble" wrapped, in a brightly coloured box. There are no instructions provided, but the pictures and written description on the box amply illustrate what the mount is capable of.

5398_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

For illustration purposes I used my old Konica 35mm film camera. (I normally use a Canon A570IS Digital Camera). Made obvious comparisons to the previous camera adapter I own - the standard "Universal Digiscoping" adaptor - which I've been succesfully using for the past three years.

5399_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

I found that the Baader is a bit more "fiddly" to set up at the telescope, in that it has a more complex actuating mechanism, to allow the camera to be swivelled away from the eyepiece. (Which you cannot do with the "Universal" adapter).

5400_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

I found the Baader adapter felt a bit "spidery" and "floppy" until you had found the right position for the camera, and had tightened everything up. Once it is set up, it's a solid mount, which will hold even the heavyiest eyepieces.(Here I have a 2" Plossl 40mm eyepiece attached).

5401_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Incidently, I set up the Baader on my 8" Newtonian fitted with a "Moonlite" Crayford single speed focuser. I later had to tighten the focussing adjusting screws, as I found that it kept slipping out of focus as I "fiddled" with setting up the Baader.(probably due to the fact I was using a heavy 2" eyepiece). The Baader can be set up for either a right or left handed attachment to any eyepiece (as could the "Universal") - this feature allows you to use any digital camera, no matter where the threaded tripod mount is situated on the camera.

5402_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

5403_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

On setting up the Baader, at first I found the upper adjusting wheel snagged the support post as you "click" the mount away from the eyepiece. After some "fiddling" I managed to move the uppper wheel to a position around the back of the rig.

5404_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

I found that getting the angle of the camera lens accurately in line with the telescope eyepiece is a bit trickier on the Baader, due to the mechanics of the jig. The Universal was simpler in that the camera mounting stage was fixed at 90 degrees to the vertical axis of the jig. I found this the most fiddly part of using the Baader. When setting up the Baader (or jigs) I would suggest experimenting setting it up in the daylight, and on a table (with a towel underneath to cushion any slips). To set it up outside, in the dark might be a bit of a tricky operation - and risky. Through my own fault - for not tightening one of the locking wheels on the Baader rig, it suddenly swung away from the eyepiece, causing me some alarm! as I thought my camera was heading for the concrete! The Baader folds flat to store in its own leather pouch for easy storage and transport.

5405_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

5406_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

In conclusion, although I found this latest Baader "click-stop" digital camera adapter a bit fiddly, and more complicated to set up than the "Universal" adapter, I feel the Baader just has the edge over the "Universal" adapter due to:- 1. The Baader will accommodate a wider range of eyepiece sizes. 2. This mount "swings away" from the eyepiece to allow you to check your scopes focus. 3. The mount will accommodate any digital camera - but I'm not sure about the really heavy Digital SLR's (Simply because I did not have such a camera to try). 4. The mount folds flat for easy storage. Regards, philsail1

P.S. I don't know why the print is in black!

Philsail, thanks for the review. I have one of these, and I haven't yet managed to set it up to give it a proper try out,I tried at night, but just couldn't quite get it in the right place. I'm planning on setting it up during the day and marking the arms in some way with the correct points. It has comfortably help my Minolta Z2 which is somewhat larger than the camera in the picture, although I did find that the diagonal tended to slip around when the camera was swung to the side, but the clickstop held it without issue.

Hi John!

Thanks for reply,

Yes, the Baader is good - but somewhat "flawed" by its complexity.

Perhaps the makers will sort out the minor glitches when (if) they bring out new model.

Good news that it holds your Minolta Z2.

Regards,

philsail1

Archived