Hey Guys!

Beast Bro

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Beast Bro and welcome to SGL, You have a 90mm refractor, it may be wise, before you consider delving into new lenses and Barlows, to have a little explanation with regard to telescope magnification and the sky conditions you are able to observe in.

The general rule of thumb for this is 50x per inch of aperture, in totally perfect seeing conditions, which makes the theoretical maximum magnification within the region of 175x for your 3.5" objective. I am not sure of the conditions in Arkansas, but like other World locations the 50x mag is reduced to something in the order of 35x  to take into account of local conditions, it could, of course, be more, or in a lot of cases less. This makes your scope comfortable at about 130x but on exceptional nights of good seeing this can be increased.

The resulting magnification of an eye piece, when used with a scope, is calculated by the scopes focal length divided by the mag of the eye piece, so your 9mm will give 88x and your 25mm 32x your 8-24 zoom 100x-33x. by simple math you can see that your 3x Barlow is only useful using eye pieces giving the lowest magnification, this is almost sure to be the reason why you have your vision of targets blurred when using this device.

Good quality Barlows are useful for expanding the range of a few decent eye pieces, but you can never get away from the fact that a good single eye piece will give you the best bang for your buck. HTH, enjoy your observing and the forum :)

Yeah I have realized that the 3x is a bit much for what I have but will be awesome to have down the road when I upgrade. I live out on the country side so there really Isn't much light around and been having really good viewing sessions this past weekend. So far I've probably put 20 hours of viewing in the 3 weeks since I've bought it. Sadly I work night shift and always get up early to view before work which is awesome! Weekends have been cloudy besides last night which I put about 6-8 hours of use in it lol.

I never really bother with Barlows, I always use standard EPs, although it's always a good idea to upgrade the weakest part of your set-up first whether that be EPs, mount, barlow, diagonals etc :) So if the mount is letting you down I'm sure you can find something more reliable for a cheap. Good luck and welcome to the forum mate :)

Archived