Hey Guys!

Beast Bro

New guy here! Going to be awesome to learn much more about telescopes,lens, and Space!

I have a StarNavigator 90mm Altazimuth Refractor with AutoStar as my first telescope!

Came with the Meade 9mm and 25mm Eyepieces, i have recently bought a Celstron X-Cel LX 3x Barlow Lens and a Celestron 8-24mm Zoom Eyepiece Got to use a little bit tonight but it got cloudy way to fast :c

I believe that my scope cant handle the 3x as everything was quite blurry for the most post even focused in etc. Thinking about purchasing the 2x barlow the upcoming week and was wondering if anyone had any

ideas on what else i should do. Overall its a great scope imo, i've seen Saturn, Jupiter and its Clouds belts and 3 of its moons the Moon insanely great tonight with the new Zoom piece, Seen Venus but was really hard to make it out :c.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would forget the about any Barlow lens and concentrate on stand-alone eyepieces for the time being. Simple reason being that the slightest movement with an alt-az mount on a small refractor is going to be 'hit & miss' to relocate or centre what you were observing. Apologies in advance if I appear negative, I have had experience of my TeleVue Ranger (70mm) on a camera tripod & alt-az camera head as it can be very frustrating, especially during the winter months.

Yeah I have had difficulties with the mount, but so far been getting used to the adjustment that it gives after finding the object I've been after, no worry son the negative part all about the information I need. thanks a ton man. Always seeking to better myself in this hobby. 

Maybe an EQ3/2. I don't know what sort of budget you have set aside. So I have included a few options below...

If you love the simplicity of alt-az mounts, then a 'Giro' type mount. They are very smooth to use once the OTA is balanced. That is what I upgraded to when I gave up on the camera tripod/head. Also the beauty with the higher capacity models is that you can mount another OTA or binoculars of the other arm. Some even can be adapted to have drives, (eg Ayo, Swiss made, but expensive).

For the tripod you could use a surveyors tripod, (you may have to modify the top-plate for the mount and its hardware). And if you want to reduce vibration to a minimum then a wooden surveyors tripod.

Hmm still noob at this, but I guess I got take the scope off the mount and put it on the EQ3 or 2 for stability if it works like that. My budget is kinda low, but I can always save for stuff that I really need.

I bought an EQ5 before advised about it in SGL.  SGL advised it is an excellent mount.  Very sturdy.  If you get the Synscan with it (as I did) its supposed to be REALLY good.

There are many superior memebers than me which you might want to listen to more :smiley:

Cheers,

Mark

Archived