Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Martin Meredith

Are short subs a barrier to extracting faint detail?

What is the best way to measure sky noise and read noise, so I can calculate whether it makes sense to push for longer exposures?  

I have been shooting 5 minute exposures at f/6 under what I estimate to be a bortle 4 skies.   I want to be able to draw out faint outer spiral arms in galaxies, and I'm trying to decide whether to try for 10 minute exposures or to just shoot a lot more 5-minute exposures.  

Does ISO have any bearing on this at all? 

You'll find that with a high ISO you will saturate the pixels faster which will make I'd difficult to get long exposures. That's my experience.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By knobby
      First attempt at any DSO other than the brighter stuff like M42 or Andromeda.
      Learning to use the AZ-Gti /Sharpcap polar align / windows synscan app / APT platesolving ... And guiding ! all in one night ?
      all went well so had a quick 30 mins on M51 (first time I'd ever managed to actually frame it ... Plate solving is amazing)
      90 second subs gain 420 and 5 darks and synthetic flat for dust bunnies / gradients
      Wish I'd have gone longer now as tried a 5 minute sub once guiding was working which looked good .
      Very noisy but only 30 mins .

• By alan4908
      I decided to try to maximize detail by collecting a large quantity of Luminescence data and then applying strong deconvolution to the areas of high signal to noise.  I also decided to try out Mure denoise, a Pixinsight routine that reduces camera noise.  The final result is an LRGB and represents just over 17 hours integration time. 
      I hadn't noticed before the rather strangely shaped fuzzies in the backgroud - have a look at the annotated version for IC4278 and the triangular shaped galaxy PC2292105. 
    • By alan4908
      Yet another attempt at the Whirlpool galaxy (M51).
      This time, I decided to try to maximize detail by collecting a large quantity of Luminescence data and then applying strong deconvolution to the areas of high signal to noise.  I also decided to try out Mure denoise, a Pixinsight routine that reduces camera noise.  The final result of this LRGB processing approach is shown below and represents just over 17 hours integration time. 
      I hadn't noticed before the rather strangely shaped fuzzies in the backgroud - have a look at the annotated version for IC4278 and the triangular shaped galaxy PC2292105. 
      Alan
      LIGHTS: L:46, R:20, G:23, B: 15 x 600s; DARKS:30, BIAS:100, FLATS:40 all at -20C. 

• By ollypenrice
      Hi All, once again it's been a great pleasure to share this passion with SGL friends so I'd like to say a small thanks to everyone by posting a link to some data we shot here this year. It's all yours to have a play with - just try not to show me up! 
      It's from the TEC140 Triplet Apo/Mesu 200/Atik 460 mono rig working at about 0.9 arcseconds per pixel, cropped to reduce file sizes and aligned to fit together in Registar. You'll find LRGB and Ha in the link, though the Ha is a bit of a token gesture at 2X40 minutes. However, I found I could use it to give a hint of the star forming regions.  There are no short subs for the central core but I found I could use the RGB layer as a substitute since the core was quite subdued in that set.
      I hope this Dropbox link will work for you. 
      https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pxrxxtkr6khwvsf/AADNDoXJZh4t7zjI3LdIirjea?dl=0
      Have a great Christmas wherever you are and let's look forward to all those incoming photons in 2019...
      Olly
    • By lalou
      Hi All. Need your help on my first try at M51. After stacking around 1 hour+ of 2 mins exposures this is what I got. I wasn't able to use darks and flats because I had a problem with the darks that I took during that night. I'm getting a slight red tone on the background when I enhance with levels and curves in Photoshop. I took the image in a fairly dark site but I used a UHC filter to see if it has any help on the image. My equipment is a Celestron C6N reflector, Nikon D90, and a Baader UHC filter.

Thanks!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.