upgrade already???

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You already have the Travelscope 70?. If the optics are good on this scope,sure, why not go for it. All depends on what you fancy. For £75, its worth a punt. Here are the full specs of the scope:

http://shop.technopro.co.za/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=156&products_id=880&utm_source=shopmania&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=direct_link

Its nearly twice the aperture. EQ mount, so some sort of imaging possible (im thinking webcam and planets and Lunar).

Any direct link to images of the scope and optics?

I can't recall what your interests are but if it's visual observing I think I'd have a 6" dobsonian in my sights rather than 114mm or even 130mm newtonians. I've seen these (the 6" dobs) for sale on the used market for £100 and they would take your observing potential into a different league from your current scope. Their "ownership" costs are not great either because their F/8 focal ratio is not very demanding on eyepieces or collimation.

Hi John I'm hoping to do a bit of star gazing, see some nebulas etc, I know my travel scope is limited to what I can do and see, so really looking for a future replacement. Lukeskywatcher gave us information on a website that tells of what your scope is truly capable of.

Hi John I'm hoping to do a bit of star gazing, see some nebulas etc, I know my travel scope is limited to what I can do and see, so really looking for a future replacement. Lukeskywatcher gave us information on a website that tells of what your scope is truly capable of.

I'd be wary of any website that tried to do that. What you can actually see with a particular scope on a particular occasion / location will vary widely as it's influenced by loads of factors, mainly the seeing conditions, levels of light polution, observer experience, state of scope collimation, eyepiece quality, etc ,etc.

I'd take any simulation (including the above link) with a large pinch of salt otherwise you may be dissapointed.

It's a simulation of the field of view / approx object size (and it's not 100% accurate even at those) but not how it will look to you with your scope, your eyes, from your location etc.

I'd be wary of any website that tried to do that. What you can actually see with a particular scope on a particular occasion / location will vary widely as it's influenced by loads of factors, mainly the seeing conditions, levels of light polution, observer experience, state of scope collimation, eyepiece quality, etc ,etc.

I'd take any simulation (including the above link) with a large pinch of salt otherwise you may be dissapointed.

It's a simulation of the field of view / approx object size (and it's not 100% accurate even at those) but not how it will look to you with your scope, your eyes, from your location etc.

Valid point John....being from east London I know I'll never get hubble quality. But to see something like andromeda I'll be chuffed!

Astroboot is a secondhand/reconditioned astro equipment site. Prices are good and there's less risk compared to e-Bay or Gumtree. Google it - you can pick up good scopes and everything else over there. Plus these guys know their stuff, so you can buy with confidence. Postage is very reasonable too.

What's not to like...

Hello ghost sure OK I'll see what I can do. Going to new York a week Tuesday so it'll be after that :-).

Just checked astrobiology, they've got a skywatcher 130p for 89 pound unused just an opened box! With free delivery..bargain??

A 130P for £89 unused does sound like a good bargain - especially if it has a tripod or dobsonian base with it. Just make sure you see it first to ensure it is in fact brand new condition and complete. It's usually a good idea to post up a link so we can look at it and give you an opinion. :)

Astroboot has some real bargains occasionally but they don't last long. The ones in their "Bargain Zone" are priced somewhere between the new price and what you can get a clean used one for. It's worth reading the description of the condition of the item and what is included very carefully. It's accurate but your bargain might not turn out so good if you need to buy tube rings, dove tail bars, finders etc, etc because they are not included. If they say something is "out of collimation" they mean it !

Archived