Skywatcher Heritage-100P

Hi

I'm a complete novice but my son (5) has shown an interest in stargazing.

I'm looking to buy him a telescope for his birthday... I've done a small amount of research and and thinking about this one...

Skywatcher Heritage-100P

Can anyone please offer me some advice please?

Also, should I be buying charts or books to go with it?

Thank you in advance.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't be buying books just yet. As mentioned, there are free programs such as stellerium which will give you a great idea of whats about and when. I've not used the 100p but had the 130p for a while and it's a great scope. Don't be spending too much just yet. as I'm sure you know, a five yr old changes his/her mind more often then they change there undies :).

Best of luck with whatever you choose 

Welcome to SGL.

I'd second the recommendations of Heritage 130P. There're quite some members here with many scopes still has it as an grab & go scope.

As to 100P, there're a few thread here, my impression is that owner were not very enthusiastic in use it. The f4 mirror in 100P will much more aberrations (coma, astigmatism, spherical aberration etc) than 130P which is a f5.

I agree that the 130P is a better choice. I'm sure that in the process of helping your son out that you will find an interest too. If your son decides astronomy is not for him then you will be left with a really good scope that is very capable of showing many many objects. 

Although more expensive, you may like to look at a similar scope but with a GOTO function. Your son may get very frustrated if he can't find objects to look at. However using a go to will require a alignment process.

I agree that the 130P is a better choice. I'm sure that in the process of helping your son out that you will find an interest too. If your son decides astronomy is not for him then you will be left with a really good scope that is very capable of showing many many objects. 

+1

when you look through the scope it wont matter if your son wants to continue or not because i have a sneaky feeling you will  :p

Thank you so much for all of your advice.

I was really tempted with the 130p.

However - he is only 5, and I really don't want to spend more than £100. Am I crazy?

The 130p seems to be retailing at around £165.

Is there a different telescope I should be looking at for less than £100 pls?

Thanks again

Hmm, If you're unsure whether he'll enjoy it or not, before spending your money see if you can go to a local astronomy society, they'll be happy to let your son see through their scopes (but make sure he doesn't knock anything over!! xD) If he enjoys it after a few sessions, then you can make a decision on how much you are going to spend depending on how much he enjoys it. 

Heritage 130p , not the 130p you have seen which is on a unsuitable mount and £165.

Heritage 130p is the bigger brother to the 100p.

Both are table top based mounts, possibly your son could stand to observe if either are placed on an upturned bucket.

Hmmm just looked at the heritage 130p...I'm swaying!

Do I need a 2x Barlow lens? ... I just read that in a review.

Thanks for all you help. It's great!

You dont really need a 2x as the scope comes with a 10mm and a 20mm eyepiece (or is it 25mm?). If you do want a 2x it means you will have: 25mm,12.5mm,10mm and 5mm. I'm not 100% sure but i think the Heritage 130P from FLO comes with a 2x barlow included. Mine didnt when i bought it, but mine was one of the 1st ones they sold and then i think Skywatcher released a newer version which includes a 2x barlow and a light shield around the secondary mirror.

Thanks for your help everyone.

I'd actually ordered the 100p - but you've educated me a lot and I'm changing my order to the 130p. I'm ordering through FLO.

Very excited!!!! I think I'll be using it more than my son!

You're advice has been great and I'm sure I'll be back many times as I learn all about stargazing!

Love the idea of visiting an astronomy society group ( not sure I want to risk taking the little man though!) will search online to see what's about in my area.

Thanks again.

Great choice. You simply will not be disappointed. It may appear to be a small scope but it punches way above its size and weight. Two points about it which i feel i should point out about this scope (not to panic you):

1/ It is sold as a table top scope but it can be placed on the ground and the eyepiece should be fine for your son to look through (maybe a little step-stool will be needed).

2/ The hexagonal focuser where the eyepiece goes and you turn it to focus is a bit naff but there are ways to overcome this. 

Apart from that, you open the box, take the scope out, loosen 2 screws, extend the tube,tighten the same screws,insert an eyepiece,focus the scope and you are stargazing within 2-3 mins.

Please let us know how you get on.

Do download a copy of Stellarium as it will help you find your way around and will be a great help. Its easy to use once you spend a couple of mins checking out its functions. It shows you exactly what is where in any direction at any given time of the night. 

But better then that, just get outside and point the scope where you want and focus it. The Moon is a great place to start.

*PLEASE do not point the scope at the Sun and look through it..........you will damage your eyes and/or your sons*

I just had to include that warning. 

Thank you.

Great advice - oh yes I know about the sun.

Am I right in thinking that special lenses can be purchased for this? ( pls don't laugh - I really am new to all this )

You do need special safety filters etc to observe the Sun, but they dont/wont work on this type of scope. Because of the open truss (extendible arms) design on the Heritage 130P, i dont think even the simplest cheapest solar filter "Badder astro film" system will work safely. Probably best to put any thought of observing the Sun out of your mind for now. Plenty of stuff in the night sky to be getting on with.,

Archived